2004 (First Gen) Tundra DC

I thought it would be nice if everyone posted a thread of theirs, so others could scroll through and get ideas. Mine is nowhere near the caliber of many others, but I figured it might possibly help someone spark an idea.

Base was bought as a 2004 Toyota Tundra DC Limited. Big ticket upgrades include:
Bilstein 6112/5160 with Timbrens
ARB front bumper
JAOS bumper lights
GFC
Line-X bed liner
Bed rug

This is when I got it (04 MAY 2020):

Unconventional way to store some gear:

I almost built a 2’x6’x10" shelf/sleeping platform on the passenger side, but decided to go this route instead. It allows me to remove it completely to haul stuff, saves almost 5x the weight, doesn’t require permanently putting holes in the bed for install, and is still sturdy enough to slide on the long removable bottom piece of the GFC and use it as an elevated spot to sit. :slight_smile: It’s my wife, 2 kids and a dog that use this, so space is a hot commodity.

First night in the backyard showed that we need to block the sun from coming in for the kiddos downstairs. I used 550 cord along the bottom and top parts of the rear door to make ‘rails’ and velcro’d a piece of carpet to itself for a curtain. I’ll have my guy sew it up once this COVID stuff blows over. The bottom ‘rail’ also allows us to grab the center to close the rear hatch from the inside.

I ran gutted-500 cord through the GFC mounts on both sides because well, probably going to use it.

Also used 550 to the bottom of the rear panel on both sides to the rear mounts. I put a ‘weight’ (easily accessed tie-down strap) to pull it back in when the tailgate is closed, prevents it from getting caught between the panel and the tailgate. I did this for a couple of reasons; dog ventilation, preventing the wind from flinging the rear panel open when we’re inside, and to provide some level of security while we’re inside (with us upstairs and the kids/dog downstairs, lets us sleep better if someone can’t just open the rear panel). It’s attached to a cam-lock carabiner so I can quickly adjust it.

550 handle cushioned by some 5/16" hose I had in bulk from home-brewing allows my wife and kids to easily close the tailgate from inside.

That’s about it for now. Pretty simple and open. I am waiting for Goose Gear GGAS/GGAR anchors so I can install some storage nets. I’m also wanting to get some custom molle stuff for the triangle spots in the frame, but it’ll probably be a while before I can have those made.

7 Likes

I’ve been kicking around ideas for cupholders; spotted this at the last Cabelas trip and figured I’d give it a go. Turned out alright, I think. I just used a 5/16" rod coupler and 1" bolt to the top of the mounting bolt, drilled the cup holder out a bit and voila. Perfect spacing from the cup holder, I guess it was made to fit their coolers.

2 Likes

New Goose Gear Anchors (part numbers for slotted/round, respectively: GGAS/GGAR). I was finally able to hang my cargo net.

(upload://PsP4

1 Like

Thanks for sharing the Goose Gear part. Does Goose Gear sell them individually, or in a kit?

I was only able to find them in kits of 4 each. They sell it with or without the hardware; get it without, it’s a different thread (I forget what it was), but the holes fit the GFC hardware. I ordered mine from here:

1 Like

My quest for table space/cupholder is now complete. I used Sugatsune EB-200/EP SS folding brackets (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QTVYBTV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1). They were a bit pricier than others, but the design was perfect for it (and it wasn’t made in China). With a 90lb load capacity, I don’t have to worry about the kids using it to get upstairs. I used a 1/2" cutting board for the table. I used 1" equal angle aluminum for the brackets. I wanted to use the space above the wheel well (wasted anyways), and wanted it to fold out of the way. I drilled into the GFC mount and used 3/8" SS hardware to mount the angle. (It can pivot under load slightly since there are only 2 mounting points up high, but with it snugged up, it takes a significant force to make it move. Even then, it goes only until the angle hits the bed side.)

And a little range day action after camping.

6 Likes

Thanks for the info. How many sets would you recommend ordering? I haven’t picked up my camper yet, so I am not quite sure how many I need to hang my net.

I think there are a total of 16 mounting spots (8 up high, 8 down low). If you order 4 kits, you’d cover them all. If you’re just wanting to hang a cargo net, I’d say maybe 6 anchors (2 kits)? That way you have 2 on each side (driver/passenger), then 2 between the cab and bed.

Nice. I am starting my 2000 First Gen Acess Cab. Pick up the GFC in November.

2 Likes

First Gen Tundra crew. 02 Access Cab here.

1. How do you like the ARB bumper?
  2. What’s the weight?
  3. Did it need much modifying to install?

Thinking about getting a GFC for my 2005 Tundra.
I’m 6’2". Would I easily fit into the sleep area up top?

Thanks
Tony

Sorry for the late response! I love my ARB bumper, I plan on putting one on the wife’s Sequoia probably later this year. It is a beast, pretty heavy… Luckily, I put the Bilstein 6112s on prior to the bumper, otherwise I’m confident I would have noticed the nose dip. I’m not sure on actual weight, probably approaching 200, though (and that’s without a winch). I’m sure shipping weight can be found somewhere online, or maybe if you call 4Wheel Parts, they’ve always been pretty good to me with information.

Install was a PITA… I did it by myself with the help of a floor jack. Quite the balancing act… if you had 2 or even 1 other person to help, it would be a lot easier. I had to re-drill the mounting holes otherwise it sat I think like 2" below the grille/fenders. It wasn’t hard to do (I’d recommend titanium bits), but doing it solo I don’t recommend.

I’m only 5’9", my wife is significantly shorter, and we had plenty of room to store our clothes/pistols/shoes/etc at our feet at night. You might be a bit snug at 6’2" if you want to store stuff at your feet, but if you’re solo, you could easily go diagonal. I did unfortunately sell my GFC… so I can’t get you an interior dimension of the upstairs sleeping area.

I am 6’3 and I fit just fine!

Tim, tell me more. Are you sleeping on a diagonal? Are your feet crammed in the corner.

Thanks
Tony

I can add info. I am 6’2” and sleep straight with no issues. I even sleep head at the wedge so my hot ass mouth breathing can get vented. No issues with clearance just have to watch the melon when I get up.

I sleep with my feet in the wedge. With my head all the way to the wall of the tent i Have no issues fitting. I do have size 13 feet so sometime my toes will hit the wegde but I wouldnt say I dont fit. If im solo then I will sleep at an angle slightly. Either way I fit just fine and I am a big dude.