2020 Tundra Double Cab Build (Adventures)

My journey with GFC began fall of 2018 when I first read about GFC. I thought about it until May 2019 when I placed my deposit for a build spot #733, estimated start date September 2020. The build was to go on my 2017 Tacoma Pro.

GFC improved production times as I expected and 15 months later, 8/13/2020 I picked up my Camper for my 2020 Tundra Double cab!

This thread will be about my build and my adventure’s. I hope to answer questions about Tundra Specific questions, provide documentation in what I add over time and some pictures of my GFC on adventures.

Here is my Tacoma setup, which is what really provided the basis for going all in with a GFC.

Last morning top less before install!

Install

First night! Full stoke!

Thanks Taylor for the recommendation for Breakfast, Western was very good!

Had a great trip out and back to Oregon!

More to come about suspension, solar install, fridge, awnings and more adventures!
Thanks

4 Likes

Modifications on Tundra so far

Tires Falken Wildpeaks 285/75/18
Method Roost wheels

Suspension:
Front Fox 2.5 front
SPC UCA’s
Diff Drop
Sway bar drop bracket
Rear OME Dakar Leafs
OME add-a-Leaf installed 9/15
Fox 2.0 rear shocks

Lift settled in at:
Front 41 3/4” ground to fender front
Back 43” in back
After install back dropped to 41 3/4”

Probably load CFX fridge and all my typical camping gear, awnings, fridge and measure this Friday prior to trip. I think I will need to add an Add A leaf?

Added solar Goal Zero 100w panel, not sold on rack height yet may try to get the same brackets as @WVTRDPro?

I need to figure out if I want to run wiring through panel with cable gland or go down and punch through the access hole in bed? Going to plug into Goal Zero in bed.

Here’s the panel on roof.

Installing CVT awnings back and passenger side tonight.

Install additional crossbar on back as well.

Thanks and thoughts on add a leaf or other options, wiring, brackets are welcome.

1 Like

Awnings—CVT front and back

Installed CVT pioneer awnings 55” and 79”

Used the GFC universal mount on passenger side with supplied mounting hardware

Used Leitner Design awning mount kit for rear with 1/4 20 bolts and GFC track nuts

Used Awnings on trip this last week to Sawtooth’s. Setup was easy with two people.

270 would be great but this is working good for now.

Thanks

** next install leafs and Rigd**

2 Likes

Nice pics of an awesome looking truck! Do you think the rear awning, more specifically the awning brackets you used will work with the new hinge? Thanks

@RamBam thanks! good question on the new hinge. I think I can go up one more track if I need too. It will be close. I hope to get new hinges next summer unless I have a failure.

Bonus of rear awning is a place to set shoes on awning cover!

Thanks for replying! I didn’t even think about using the awning as a shoe holder, love it! I’m pumped on copying your rear awning, thanks for sharing!

There are two sides to the foam - one is softer than the other. Took me a few nights to figure that out. Unzip the cushion and you can feel which one is softer (I can’t remember which colour is which).

2 Likes

Thanks! I’ll check it for sure.

Looks like mine were installed with the softer foam up on the square sections but the rectangle were upside down. Flipped them see if this helps!. Thanks for suggestion

1 Like

Rigd Mega Swing Tire Rack

Purchased Rigd Mega swing the install was easy.

Added the table and Side hack for water.

Added wobble not extension to be able to install 1up.

My original bike setup was Yakima back swing and the 2 bike holdup. I went back and forth on full bumper setup but settled on the Rigd no complaints so far

2 Likes

RCI Offroad Sliders Installed.

Install was straight forward.

3 Likes

Drawer Build

First shout out to @WVTRDPro, his initial single drawer setup was my inspiration/template!
I wanted to have some storage for miscellaneous items that hang out in the bed all the time. It is a partial drawer 32” long and storage behind

Used Baltic birch plywood 1/2
28” locking slides
Truck Bed liner
And a ploy coating on non bed treated parts

I will add my fridge with tilt and finalize tray/shelf for goal zero after a couple trips.

6 Likes

That looks wayyyy better than the one I did, nice work!

Howdy, I’m looking to do something very similar, do you happen to have measurements, supply list and build plans that id be able to utilize? I’ve got a 2019 tundra double cab.

1 Like

Sorry for Delay @pcurran , was out on a trip this weekend

Supply list

2 heavy duty 28” slides with lock out Amazon

VEVOR Heavy Duty Drawer Slides 28" Length, Locking Drawer Slides 500lbs Load Capacity Long Full Extension Drawer Slide 1 Pair Side Mount Ball Bearing Drawer Glides Push to Open Drawer Runners Rail

3 pieces of 4x8 x 1/2 Birch 9 ply plywood

1 of these from Amazon

Southco C2-32-25 Series Powder Coated Zinc Alloy Adjustable Lever Hand Operated Compression Latch, 0.20" Thick, 0.04"-0.94" Grip Range, Black

Stainless steel screws and some 1/2 aluminum c-channel for front
1/2 in. W x 1/2 in. H x 96 in. L Aluminum C-Channel with 1/16 in. Thick
Angled aluminum for length, 96” all from Home Depot

My objective was to be able to use my bed to haul every day loads but have some storage for my bike gear, fridge elevated to use as dog step and storage for chairs or misc stuff not needed in a drawer. I also wanted a little cubby on side next to bed to throw hiking poles, hatchet and other little misc stuff always in my way.

I put my most camping gear in a taped square on garage floor and then built drawer based on these dimensions

Below are some photos with measurements let me know if you need something specific.

Sorry had a bit of a glare on the tape in a few photos

4 Likes

Hi LBS_TRDadventures,

Thanks for sharing your awesome build with us! I followed your path and went with the exact same rear awning setup. Using the Leitner Design awning mount kit with 1/4 20 bolts, locktight, washers and GFC track nuts, I’m getting too much wiggle in the whole setup. On a rough road, this awning would bounce around. Did you encounter this, and if so, what was your fix?

Thanks so much,
Elliot

1 Like

Hey Elliot,

Thanks for the comments! I don’t notice any bouncing around that I’m aware of?

I took it off for the hinge up grade and mounted back up and still no issues. I’ll get a measurement on bolt length.

FYI, I’m actually getting ready to post my entire setup for sale in next day or so, drawer, goal zero stuff, GFC, and fridge, etc… but I’m happy to answer any questions.

Thanks

1 Like

Hello Elliot,

For rear awning mount I used 1/2” thread length to the button head and 1/16 stainless steel washer. Also note, I changed from 1/4 to 10/32 when reinstalled. The awning mount was rock solid when I just check it for any play. It’s been on this second round for about 10 months.

Hey man!

You are awesome! Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I’ve concluded that the lack of stability is due to the fact that the t-nuts from GFC are too think for their own track meaning that the threaded portion of the nut sticks out of the track about 1/16 of an inch. This of course prevents the bracket from sitting flush against the outer edge of the track. I’m using the 1/4 20 screws GFC provides with the corresponding track nut. I notice that the smaller size 10-32 track nut sits flush, but I don’t dare use such a skinny screw to hold the weight of the awning. IN short, how did you get the larger t-nut to sit flush in the track / what was your work around or was this not an issue for you?

Thanks so much!

We’ll upon investigation I goofed. I have been using 10-32 the entire time. I just switched out the bolts to button heads to match my other bolts. I wish I could edit but I’m unable to edit those old post. For a solution can you drilling the rack hole to same dimension as the track nut? This how the factory awning brackets look, see attached. Sorry for the confusion.