Frozen door latches

nope… if you look closely at the edge, you can see where the panel bends upward… same issue

So a little update on fridgid northern testing on the latch covers. They do work great; but I have learned that you have to be diligent about closing the latches and covering them back up if you’re in Cabana mode.

Last weekend at the end of a snowmobile avalanche training course; it was puking wet snow. Had the doors on the camper open latches exposed. When I closed everything down there was snow filled in every crevasse. I kind knew this would be a problem, tried my best to clean it. Today, we’re pushing -20C and everything was frozen up. Good thing - I hit the covers pretty firmly with my palm to break them free and they survived. But the other snow that was in the latch obviously melted and all my doors are frozen shut.

I still think that the solution here is simple…either a t-handle or bigger latch so you can get more leverage. But I’d say the jury is out…compression latches are not ideal in consistently inconsistent winter weather. You need something with leverage to break the ice.

2 Likes

I got the gasket and magnets and printed out one of my magnetic covers to test it out. The panels have a slight bend to them quick prevents the bottom from evenly contacting the panel, but they seem to hold on well. I had to add a lip to make them easier to remove. They will look better in black, but I had grey on hand.

It is snowing and and supposed to be -3 tonight, maybe a will blast it with water for the ultimate test!

8 Likes

I sprayed water on and around the latch cover last night. You can see where a little water got in, but it stayed around the latch body and the latch opened just fine. This probably simulates a pretty worse case scenario.

I am not going to be selling these. They work great and I am happy with the design, but I really just made these because I like the doing the design. I will be making the files available to anyone who wants them. If you can have a 3d printer or don’t have the capability to print in the material you want (ABS, ASA, or PETG would be ideal), somewhere like 3d hubs can print that for a reasonable cost. This is especially true in a group buy scenario.

I am going to continue to tweak the design and make a version compatible with the V2 if there is enough interest.

12 Likes

Definitely interested!
Nice work!

1 Like

I received a set of the plates from @jedgar last week (thank you!!). Currently trying to find someone around here to print in ABS or ASA- the Lulzbot & Prusas at work are set up for PLA, which I don’t think is a great match for this application. If anyone has any recommendations for a place to order the print from online as well I’m all ears.

2 Likes

I have had good luck with 3d hubs. I was ordering large quantities though, which made it very inexpensive.

PETG would also be a good option and could be printed without an enclosure like ABS and ASA require.

Thanks for the idea black. Gonna do this, I’m tried of looking like a jerk who doesn’t know how to unlock a lock or a thief trying to break into the thing
Pretty disappointed in these locks

1 Like

I competed the side and rear latch cover design for the V1. I think these will fit side and rear doors for the V2, but I have no way of checking that. The side covers have 4 magnets to add extra hold so you can drive fast without worrying about them. I have liked being able to stick them to the side of the truck or the tailgate when I open the GFC so I dont lose the covers.

Below is a link to the files for printing the backing and covers. If you try them out, let me know what you think so I can edit them as needed. If you test them out on a V2, I will be particularly interested in how they work. If I need to, I can make a design that works for all of the V2 folk. The non gasket material and magnets can be found on ebay for around $10.

Enjoy!

12 Likes

Awesome work @Espinoza700 and awesome of you to share! Looks like a perfect solution.

2 Likes

Hit Josh up for the 3D print files. They work great!

Yeah just made them up for @Dignon so not selling them but happy to share if you want the file!

2 Likes

They’ve been awesome and have proven themselves over and over

1 Like

Just now seeing this thread, have wrestled with freezing latches for two years now. Boo to not being able to get my ski gear or hunting gear after driving somewhere.

I have a v1 camper, noticed that there’s a 1-2mm gap between the latch housing and the panel - would it be possible to print out a plastic cover or somehow cut a metal cover that could just slide between the panel and the latch? Anybody explored that avenue?

If you get the 3D print files from @jedgar for the V1’s he sent me; those should work great on your camper. I actually found those look better; but they’re definitely tight for closing the latch.

These covers are a game changer…if you don’t like to f-around; then this is the answer!

1 Like

Here’s a little video I did show how to setup and use Josh’s design. They’ve been great all winter!

GFC Camper - Frozen Latch FIX :metal: bonus video

4 Likes

I havent noticed if anyone reported their attempt with the covers from @Espinoza700 on a V2. Do they fit the V2? Thanks.

Now that the weather is getting warmer… the cover is becoming easier to slide on and off but I have zero concerns about it coming off as it’s held in place by a lip at the bottom of the cover plate….

1 Like

@PRob i get my v2 in may and I live close to him so might meet up to try them on a v2 before we print.

@PRob i only know of one person to try them on the V2 so far. They said they were close to hitting the frame, but didn’t. I also don’t know how consistent the placement is for different vehicles. The V2 should use the side cover/backing for all six latches.

1 Like