Mounting Yakima bars using artificial rain gutters

I am heading in the direction of mounting Yakima bars on my V2 camper and would like to make sure I’m not missing anything. I already have a pair of 58 inch bars and a bunch of accessories, thus sticking with Yakima. GFC recently stopped making their bar adapters, so I started looking for other options.

Thule makes these 542 artificial rain gutters. $75 for a four pack

Reading various reviews, folks say that you can use these with either Thule or Yakima rain gutter towers.

Yakima still makes these 1a rain gutter towers. $219 for a four pack. They seem out of stock everywhere, but I have some ordered.

Using these bolts and washers from McMaster-Carr
18-8 Stainless Steel Button Head Hex Drive Screws, Black Oxide, ¼”-20x0.5 inch
Black-Oxide 18-8 Stainless Steel Washer for 1/4" Screw Size, 0.281" ID, 0.625" OD

And the ¼ inch track nuts from Gizla

The artificial rain gutter has a rubber gasket which goes between the metal plate and the mounting surface. The only modification I made was to enlarge the bolt holes in the rubber gasket so the neck of the track nut can fit through. This works out well as the rubber thickness seems to be greater than the amount the track nut’s neck protrudes past the T-slot. So you end up with everything tight and flush.

Assuming you are using 58” bars, the total cost for each mounted crossbar, not including hardware, is about $205.

See photos trying out some mounting locations. I will post again once I have the towers. This seems like a reasonable approach to me, but would like to hear any feedback.

3 Likes

That actually is a great idea… I might have to steal that idea and use it if the bars I ordered don’t ever come in.

@Mike_GFCUSA said on the fb group that they still sell the Yakima mounts. Shoot him a message

I was thinking that this should work great.

Have you had any issues so far? Looking at purchasing a camper in the near future and curious if this worked out for you.

The Yakima mounts were backordered for many months. I received them recently, but haven’t had a chance to try them out yet. I will try to do it soon and post the results.

Has anyone been able to successfully pull this off? I tried to mount my today and it appears the towers were not designed to mount to a vertical gutter. This makes sense as most vehicles and toppers have some inward slope to them. I think I’m going to try to heat up the artificial gutters and try to bend out the bottom portion in an attempt to make all this work. Curious if anyone else has been down this road already??
Cheers

Returned everything for the rain gutters and went with the JE Design brackets for the control towers. I couldn’t be happier with the outcome.

Brackets: https://jedf.us/#!/YakMount™-for-GFC/p/474787810/category=113909263
Towers: Control Tower (Set of Two) – Yakima

2 Likes

Nice - I also got the JE Design brackets, waiting on some control towers & landing pads from eBay. Are those the 58" bars?

1 Like

yes, whole system was existing except for brackets and towers. with 58" bars there is about 3.5" overlap each side so you could probably reduce width to the next smallest and get by but this amount of overlap is kind of nice as a hand hold to jump up and stand on rear tire…

Next size down is 48", so that won’t work. I guess the only way to get shorter bars with no overhang would be to trim the 58" ones.

Got my Jedgar YakMounts installed with Yakima Ridgeline Towers, LP1s, and 60” Yakima CoreBars. Basically the same setup I had on my Leer shell.

3 Likes

I have the Thule artificial rain gutters and towers now currently on my old Snugtop shell. After reading this it looks like they will work very similar to the Yakima’s on my new GFC. If anybody is using this setup please let me know!