Non-traditional Ski Rack Mounting

Considering I would no longer fit in the garage with a pair of beef bars and ski racks on top of the GFC, I’m looking into other options. Curious to see/hear other ideas out there for mounting ski racks. I’m thinking about going vertical or slightly canted on my other swing arm. What have others done? Thoughts?

1 Like

I have the BAMF dual swing out bumper as well. The 2" hole spacing is a little unique and haven’t found much other than rotopax that bolts up without modification.

During covid I’ve squirrled a bunch of Yakima/Thule ski/surf/bike carrier stuff and have messed around with it a bit. You could 2 holes and bolt through the typical clam style arms. Obviously you don’t want to buy new ones and start hacking into them but I’ve found free/cheap ones on FB marketplace.

I’m trying to figure out a maxtrax/snowboard setup that is secure enough for off-road but not a PITA to remove or swap out.

1 Like

May not be helpful for you, but this is how I carry my skis. Although now that I have my GFC, I’m contemplating a ski box…shhhhh don’t tell my wife.

3 Likes

I don’t ski but these look inexpensive enough to not care about modifying. I was thinking about something like this for fishing rods

1 Like

Have plywood/carpet bed platform in bed which leaves a perfect 8in cavity under for fitting 6 pairs of skis out of the way and under platform. I prefer to keep things inside when possible.

1 Like

Get a pair of these bad boys and throw them under your back seat:

1 Like

I have a 5’ bed, otherwise I would go inside as well.

1 Like

I have a 5’ bed and I can fit my 186 cm diagonally quite easily

1 Like

Figured I’d update on my solution. Yes I could’ve carried my stuff diagonally in the bed, but I wanted the living space free as previously stated.

I picked up a Thule Tram 9033 on FB marketplace for cheap. I took it apart and only ended up using one half. Had some scrap plate steel laying around and made a bracket for the left side of the rack. Hose clamps and some rubber tubing hold up the right side.

Still need to get a piece of rubber for the bottom of the swing arm as a sort of mudflap, but I’m, happy with how it turned out.

6 Likes

That looks great and easy access. Better get a mudflap on there you don’t want chips in your board

1 Like

My favorite place to put my snowboard is in the passenger seat next to me.

3 Likes

To have a 6’ bed…lol

2 Likes

Seriously, I can only fit my wife’s snowboards straight in like that in a 5’ bed! My own fault for not getting a long bed, although I still wouldn’t be able to fit my powder skis in even with the long bed.