Planned install in 2 weeks!

I’m a SoCal desert guy and a bit sketch driving thru Utah Idaho and in Montana as it looks like there is a storm coming through that weekend and I’ll be doing the drive alone.

Please, do you have any advice? 2020 taco 4wd with new at3w should be plenty? I’m confident doing winter trips to the local mountains/highways, Mammoth and Tahoe but that usually involves being within 1 hour of non freezing temps. Are the road dangers up there no big deal or is it a big deal?

Good tires and taking your time should do it in my opinion. You’ll be on majorish roads the whole time so people will be traveling even in a storm. For extra piece of mind throw in good sleeping bag and a bit of water and food and have fun! Also cold snow is more grippy than Tahoe snow, and mostly everyone that lives in those places knows how to drive in the snow so less sketchy than a trip to Tahoe for sure!

3 Likes

Lived through a MT winter last year and I would say don’t be overly scared about driving up there, but do take conditions seriously when you encounter them. Keep an eye on the Interstate conditions maps from state DOTs. Interstates should get cleared faster than any other roads in the event of winter storms and those maps will be your best insight. I’d also go ahead and follow their twitter accounts as they’ll update conditions in real-time and if any serious closures/advisories are put out. Decent tires, 4wd, slower speeds, & plenty of stopping room should be all you need to make it safely. Always a good idea to keep some water, food, blankets on hand just in case.

2 Likes

Thanks, I’ll take the good advice and resources. Much appreciated.

Take it slow and maybe air down 2-3 PSI if it starts getting hasty. It’s long, fun, tiring and so worth it. Take advantage of the stops and stretch to get back in the game. Cheers

2 Likes

best long journey mod…rear seat risers. I am amazed how much these helped us on long trips

4 Likes

I’m in so cal too and just picked up my V2, I stayed at Salt Lake City before and after my trip to break it up which made the long drive more bearable. It was snowing pretty good and saw so many people on the side of the roads, good tires, take your time and engage 4high when you find yourself driving on spots completely covered in snow.

3 Likes

In addition to the solid suggestions above grab a couple of 60lb bags of tube sand from the hardware store and throw it in the bed of your Tacoma over the rear axle. It will do wonders to help with traction in the snow. I’ve done that in all of my trucks in the winter and with good snow tires I rarely have to engage 4WD.

4 Likes

It’s been fairly cold up here and along that route for the last week now. If you can stick to the interstates, do so, you’re more likely to get help faster if you need it. That being said, I just made the drive back from Vegas area in a FWD Chrysler and we came up through Island Park and out of West Yellowstone on 191. It was blizzard like conditions, several inches of snow on the road, and little to no traffic. Getting stuck in that situation would suck, but considering we did it in a little FWD car, you’ll do fine in a taco. Just take your time and drive like my grandma.

3 Likes

Good point Ohai, its not worth the extra MPG.

d.shaw, I am lucky to have the 2020 with electric drivers seat, a good mod for others tho.

Clementine, yeah I’m thinking SLC or maybe Idaho (Pocatello/Idaho Falls) will be a good place to sleep over. How many nights stay did you take for the trip?

Thanks enwhite, I think my game plan is just an up and back and sticking to the 15N then across the 90E if its snowing.

2 Likes

The weather in MT is going to be pretty cold and snowy over the next couple of days. It should break by Monday. You’ll be fine to travel here after that. I live in Bozeman, there’s really no issue with people traveling even now. It will just be easier after Monday.

Cheers,

Michael

2 Likes

I’m a Salt Lake City local. I-15 does get hairy in the southern Utah mountains during storms. I’ve passed dozens of vehicles that have slid off the interstate. Just drive slow and be patient. Once you make it as far north as Fillmore, the interstate tends to be smoother sailing, all the way thru to Ogden.

What day is your install? My appointment is Friday, 2/19!!!

1 Like

My install is 2/22. Thanks for the advice!

1 Like

@TacoGuapo I’m in the same boat as you. I’m scheduled for 3/9 install and seeing the weather coming this week has me a tad nervous. -20 at night??? Will my tundra even start in the mornings lol. Do I need to put diff coolant in to not freeze. I hardly know what snow looks like being born and raised SoCal. :grimacing: ha

Maybe get some colder rated washer fluid? I had a nice brisk Idaho morning of -38F and my “winter” washer fluid was frozen solid!

1 Like

I’m headed from NM to MT for my hinge upgrade on 2/22. Have to drive through SLC. I’m a little nervous. Hoping for a break in the weather. We’ll see. Planning to drive as carefully as possible.

Peace.

Recommend de-icing washer fluid and an extra bottle. Driving in the snow tends to require a lot of washer fluid

2 Likes

For all you guys coming through Utah, UDOT has an awesome app for that will give you all the info you need to plan your travel. The webcams, accident reports and locations of plows are all super helpful. https://apps.apple.com/us/app/udot-traffic/id477093147

Only other thing I’d add is to make sure your starter battery is healthy or carry a jump starter with you. Since you probably won’t parked for days on end it likely won’t be an issue but its possible a night in the cold could push a dying battery over the edge.

1 Like

Right Herman?!! We are going to have to do more than kicking off our flip flops and putting on shoes.

Mode7, awesome! Found the same App for Montana DOT too. That will be very helpful.

1 Like

A cool out of the way spot to stay is Lava Hot Springs, ID. Its pretty quiet, just off the interstate with good hot springs that are great after a long day on the road. I’m camping in the GFC there on my way up to Bozeman. And on the way back, for that matter…

Peace.

2 Likes