Starlink - anyone using one?

Anybody messed around with packing a starlink yet? With the new smaller rectangular antenna it’s getting tempting.

I can work from anywhere when I’m not traveling…

2 Likes

I’m using it at home and happy with it. GFC aficionado Wes Siler just wrote an article about potentially using Starlink as you describe: Can Starlink Bring High-Speed Internet to Your Next Camping Trip? - Outside Online

2 Likes

Thanks! very interesting stuff.

I think the antennas will continue to get smaller…

1 Like

I’m hopping on the Starlink train up here in BC. Anyone try it yet camping? My guess it’s going to be difficult to find spots with full exposure to the sky.

there are a couple of groups on Facebook/Meta

RV/Overlanding/Camping with Starlink

https://www.facebook.com/groups/214109926791586

and for what people are experiencing and where

https://www.facebook.com/groups/177859700191023

Starlink is adding mobile (RV, marine) support which could be a game changer if it includes a smaller dish.

Thanks @dakine . I joined those groups.

1 Like

We are using one currently while we travel through northern Canada and Alaska. Above latitude 57⁰ it doesn’t work but we have a mount on our v2 GFC for it and in the lower 48 it has worked fantastic! We have a few post on Instagram about it under this same user name.

4 Likes

Sick!!! I’m in Williams Lake, so in your ventures if you’re coming down Hwy97 we should dork out over a coffee. Can I see I picture of your mount? I was thinking the same thing. Luckily I don’t really venture above 57deg yet.

If you two ride mountain bike Williams Lake is a must stop place :smiley:

1 Like

Oh nice! We did travel through Williams lake as we headed north. We didn’t bring bikes on this trip because we thought the Dempster mud and dust would have destroyed them. So glad we didn’t because it would have but we are missing them for sure!

Here’s some shots it. We moved it to the opposite side of our panel since we took pics of the mount.

11 Likes

Nice, is that just some 1/4 Aluminum. I think I have tons of those brackets for dishy at work. The other departments have them for satellite dishes :metal:. Just need to find some scrap aluminum.

1 Like

Yup exactly. Held to the camper with go fast track nuts and the mount is held to brackets with some rivnuts. It has been super solid. We of course don’t drive with the dishy on the roof tho lol.

1 Like

Where can I get aluminum brackets like that? I have looked at home depot and lowes but no luck there. Apologies for the silly question but any help is appreciated!

Try an actual metal supply shop or just buy online. I’ve used Online Metals a few times and they are not outrageously expensive considering some local supply places make you buy full 10 or 20ft “sticks”.

Exactly above. I ordered mine off Amazon honestly. I think I searched 2x2 aluminum angle. I was able to 1foot sections and cut them down for size for various small projects.

I’ve been using starlink rv for 6mon or so now, mostly in UT/CA. As long as you have a great amount of open sky (most of the west), it works wonderfully. I can’t imagine it would be worth it in the east with thick forests all around.

I decided to ditch my Hughes.net service at home and use the starlink rv here as well. It’s been very hit or miss as I live in a canyon outside of Salt Lake, disconnecting so often that I don’t trust it for work zoom meetings. Everything else I need to do has been great though. If you’re using it near a city, expect very slow speeds until they get more satellites in the sky!

Yes, I’m sure there will be smaller dishes as the tech develops, but I’ve never felt like this dish is too large to travel with. I throw it and the router in a backpack and I’m on the road.

This is all encouraging. I am strongly leaning toward buying the Starlink RV service and H/W.

Given that it’s been several months since some of posts here, are there any updates on experience with it? Or any new Starlink owners out there that want to chime in?

Thanks in advance.