V2 Broken locks

Out camping this weekend and the locks on the passenger side panel broke. The one closest the the cab, the entire locking mechanism fell out when I unlocked and opened the panel.

Rear lock on the same panel would not unlock.

Time to open a service request and more likely, time to replace these cheap locking mechanisms

2 Likes

I asked about an upgrade as I had issues within the first week and was told:
“ We do not have a timeline on the latches, but I wager it would not be anytime soon”

1 Like

the C5 Levers. I have been looking at those.

1 Like

C5 is significantly more expensive than the C2.

1 Like

I wonder if these are a direct fit replacement…. I’d pay a premium for a locking set that is bomber

4 Likes

GFC uses the C2. Panel opening is 86x25mm. The C5 panel opening is 90x35mm. Not a direct fit replacement. Both rely on the same type of bracket for installation and have the same locking cylinders. Other than the size difference and the C5 being more flush to the panel, I don’t see a lot of difference between them.

C2:

C5:

3 Likes

Major difference is that Southco makes a cover (or if they don’t some company does) that fits the C5. Thus actually being the better option for the GFC, IMO.

2 Likes

I have done it to all 6 understand why it doesn’t seem very different but I can tell you have a lot experience with the others just about every camper shell I ever had used them and they have all failed these are far burlier the mechanism is much smoother and does not protrude out in addition to cover is adequate for all weather conditions I have had no issues summer winter dirt dust or mud.
The outside dimensions of the stock latches works perfectly as a template although they did supply a template I did not need to use.
10 minutes each using a hand metal file allowed me to pop them in snuggly.
They are more expensive I contacted one of their distributors brought the cost down to 50 bucks each that was including all the parts.
After having my first set on now for over six months I can tell you I am far happier with these.

3 Likes

I have done it to all 6 understand why it doesn’t seem very different but I can tell you have a lot experience with the others just about every camper shell I ever had used them and they have all failed these are far burlier the mechanism is much smoother and does not protrude out in addition to cover is adequate for all weather conditions I have had no issues summer winter dirt dust or mud.
The outside dimensions of the stock latches works perfectly as a template although they did supply a template I did not need to use.
10 minutes each using a hand metal file allowed me to pop them in snuggly.
They are more expensive I contacted one of their distributors brought the cost down to 50 bucks each that was including all the parts.
After having my first set on now for over six months I can tell you I am far happier with these.

2 Likes

Maybe GFC will upgrade to the C5 with covers. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hi cvollers
I have attached the link here and the items that I purchased and their cost thought you might be interested.

6 Likes

What is that top item labeled “latch”?

I am planning on swapping out all mine so have researched this too. That item is the weather cover. C5-0-34682 | NULL | Southco

2 Likes

Its the gasket and cover

1 Like

Thank you for the BOM! I’m doing buying materials to do my tailgate now. I love my GFC, but these latches are miserable.

2 Likes

Hey J finally did switch all of them out everything worked out the same I used a hand file you probably could use a Dremel but it didn’t take me very long. The only difference as I had the mount them with the weather flap facing up Ill attach a pic if you like

Let’s start a petition to get GFC to switch to the C5…who’s with me?

9 Likes

I found out yesterday that my buddies keys for his camper locks on his 2-3 year old V1 camper installed on his Tacoma work on my V2 camper on my Ram 1500. My keys also work on his camper so they must be using universal keys that are identical for all campers.

Ok Here is the pics
![IMG_3744|666x500](upload://xaE

6ji4nKzOHGI2FWzeMYIcNpif.jpeg)

7 Likes