2014 Ram Big Horn - Build out

True story!!! I keep thinking that, it is a lot of crap to bring then LOL. Planning to bring all my tools and gear to set the camper back up while I wait for my PCR results.

Planning to hopefully make it from Penticton to Missoula in one day and camp at Big Pine campsite. Then after the install head up towards Eureka and find a spot to camp out there close to the border. Then it’s off to visit a buddy in Kimberly and the long way home to the Cariboo via Rogers pass. So definitely opportunities to do all sports, bike, ski, fish LOL

If it’s the same Big Pine campground I’m thinking of, it will probably be closed. I think end of October is when it’s typically closed for the season. But I could be wrong.

1 Like

OOO shit, that wouldn’t be ideal LOL. Yeah it probably is, it’s about 40 mins West of Missoula by the looks of things. I’m so used to BC recreation sites that are just open all the time, only provincial sites ‘close’.

1 Like

Here ya go mate.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/generalinfo/lolo/specialplaces/generalinfo/?groupid=23004&recid=20312

Looks like gates are already drawn. I’m sure you’ll be able to find some dispersed camping somewhere.

3 Likes

Yeah I just saw that as well, so checking on free camping site now. Looks like there’s quite a few options. I’m really going to push as far as I can that day, I have no other objectives so who knows maybe I’ll make it all the way to Belgrade. But that’s a big push from Penticton BC, at 980km’s after getting a PCR test at 945am and having to deal with a border crossing.

your other objective should be stocking up on th Big sky Brewing Moose Drool

2 Likes

Well today was the day to really prep to head down to Montana for my install on the 18th!!

Perks of working for the Telco and being an ex-lineman…access to digger trucks!

Then put it on my buddies Eco Deisel…he’s pretty stoked!!!

Then put the cheap Tonneau cover I found online on so I don’t have to take the platform out for my journey! Boy the truck looks naked!

Takes about 10mins to put on and take off, so getting it off for the install will be a piece of piss.

6 Likes

Yee-haw for the fellow lineman :metal:

1 Like

Well the day came and went. Got my replacement install today, the new upgrades are amazing! Bulb seal on the clamshell, new drain holes, and new tent attachment system. This means no more green core popping out. I am so grateful to the team and this company for the outcome of this situation.

I’m so happy I was able to make the trip down put faces to the names of the people I was dealing with. There’s a lot going on down there and I could see how it could become overwhelming. Anyways, here’s the typical money shot install photo’s!

And made it all the way Kimberley, BC to see some of my best friends for a steak dinner!!!

8 Likes

Glad to see you have your new V2! Can you post some pics of location and size of the new drain holes?

Will for sure, I’ll try to do it today when I’m getting the platform modded to get my walls back up inside. They also addressed the tent issue with the holes.

1 Like

Definitely interested in how they’ve changed the tent design as well, keep us updated after you get some rest!

The relief holes are still in the corners but seemingly smaller. I’m not sure how they changed how it’s attached to the shell. Here’s some pics of the drain holes. Estimate is 3” from front and back then split the difference.

They’ve eliminated the bungee at the inner front due to the tent being tighter. No difference I’ve noticed in closing.

is that the extra drainage hole?

Yup and you’ll notice two more in the other photo. One in the middle and one at the back.

Got to installing a few things on the rig despite the cold. Used a heat gun to add my almost invisible ‘Trigger’ nickname to the rig.

I installed the 4’ awning out the back, as I had on the other camper. Oddly enough it fit on that one, but this one seemed to hit the flange on the clamshell more aggressively. So I thought to myself, ‘Self, you’re never going to use those other holes so just cut them off and notch the bracket’. So that’s what I did. I notice already that I’ll have to round off the top corners so I don’t slit my wrists on them in the summer.

Got one set of lights up, my third brake light and truck dome light hooked up as I did on the other rig. So you’ve all seen those pictures, only difference being I used a mesh loam instead. The dome runs off the truck battery, the other camper lights all run off the camper battery.

I’m hoping this week to get my truck into the work shop and let it warm up. Then I can put on my flexible solar panel and cable gland. Maybe even the other ‘mountain’ decals I have.

Ski season officially kicks off this weekend despite the skinny snowpack. So right down to the wire.

1 Like

Lucked out and got a warm day of 5*C so pulled the trigger on installing the cable gland and solar.

I used VHB 1” tape in a perimeter shape and V’s, then used 1/4” VHB on the gland. After that I put a bead of clear RTV around everything in the hopes that will add some additional adhesion.

Next to tackle the remaining wiring inside, but at least got the solar hooked up to charge the battery :sunglasses:

4 Likes

To complete the story of what happened throughout this process I did make a video. Not to cross post the same vid, but it’s probably better suited here.

So stoked to be dialling in the new build.

5 Likes

Got my radio whip hooked up for this weekend upcoming snow hunt. Pretty stoked on how clean this makes things. I just need to come up with a creative way to get the wiring back into the cab of the truck. Right now I have it going through the rear slider.

Also finally mounted my fire extinguisher after procrastinating on getting one.

The next thing is some cheapo Amazon floods that I’m not sure what I’m going to do with yet. I also purchased a Smittybuilt compressor for tires, airbags, etc in the hopes it would fit in the tub behind the drivers seat through the floor. But alas, it’s too big. I’m going to ask my welder friend how easy it would be to retrofit that bin so it will fit and have the air connection piped out.

If you pop the front passenger door seal off at the bottom and pull up the plastic kick plate, there are rectangular white plastic plugs that you could remove and fish an unterminated wire through. Probably have the same on the driver side. I did this for my backup cam.

For my ham radio, I drilled a 3/4” hole in the center of the roof and mounted the antenna there. Go big or go home, lol.

Truck is looking good!

1 Like