Camping In a GFC With Kids

100% agree with this, although still do love the tent camping spots. Was very happy to be 7’ in the air over the weekend as we heard a lot of coyote calls near us!

2 Likes

Which remote thermometer and propane heater were you guys running? Planning for a similar trip soon.

I was using the larger mr buddy heater with the hinge doors cracked open an inch or two. Even on the low setting it ended up being about 70 degrees “downstairs”, we had a little baby monitor that tells temperature. I’d buy something simpler or honestly use one of my remote meat thermometers next time as weird as that sounds and buy a cheap carbon monoxide alarm.

Mr. Heater MH18B Propane Heater, Red https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Q82MG8S/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_S5VMEZRVA7MF88Y8MNXM

Nice, thanks for the link!

We have had countless trips down Baja and to the mountains with our GFC. As a daily diver to work and for a family of four to camp and sleep in, (with our dog)- it’s ideal. Here are some pics from a few weeks ago:

8 Likes

It’s a tight but cozy fit for our infant, dog, and us in our short bed tacoma but very workable!

8 Likes

You guys rock! Love the stoke and recommendations.

Love your bed buildout and color scheme. Would you mind sharing your family-friendly baja spots? I’ve been meaning to take my girls down for a while. Thanks!

I think Baja is great for families, but all that begins farther down both on the Gulf side and on the Pacific side. Since taking my wife and kids down there in recent years, we’ve been exploring more remote places on the Gulf side and loving that.

What’s everyone’s strategy when dealing with long drives and kiddos? I have a 9 month old and the wife and I are planning some trips for when we get our camper, but we’re concerned with keeping her entertained on long drives and avoiding meltdowns? How long do you guys typically push a stretch of road before you got to give them a break. Seems like a daunting task…

Ketamine.

Just kidding.

My kid grew up riding in the car. I think you are the one who sets the standard of what to expect. Of course, there is a nature component to the nurture situation, and your kid may not be a car-rider. For me, as she got older, she had access to books, computer, kindle…and the snack bag. I wonder why she is never hungry?!

3 Likes

Definitely agree with all of this. When our daughter was 9 months or so, she still slept a lot and car rides were easier. Now that’s she’s almost 4, it’s lots of games/books/snacks/crying (everyone)/alcohol/screaming(parents). But in reality, we stop every few hours, let her run around, and get back in the car.

As I’m sure we’ve all learned, every kid is different.

2 Likes

Ketamine! Great idea.

That makes sense though, make it what she knows and she’ll grow up to love it I guess.

1 Like

Every kid sure is different. This is our first, so everything is trial and error. No instruction manual either, so I never know what the right step is! Haha.

Thanks for the advice.

1 Like

We time driving with naps and take long breaks every 2-3 hours. Keep a pile of toys up front so you can give then to baby without having to find the ones they’ve thrown.

4 Likes

Travel at night as much as possible. We bought some of those stick-on LED lights (with remote) and a kid viewing mirror for the back headrest so we can periodically check on the little one while driving in the dark. Beyond that, as the others said, don’t be in a hurry and take lots of breaks as needed! Good luck :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Also, to provide a glimmer of hope, my kids are 4.5 and 1.5 yrs old now and we’ve pulled off a couple 6 hr stretches! My advice is to do it frequently, so it’s just part of life

1 Like

We started taking our guy on longer trips over the past 6 months. He’s actually doing pretty good. Gearing up for the 8 hour journey from Portland to GFC to pick our camper up. My advice. Bring lots of snacks, toys, books, paper to draw on, music and if all else fails (although I haven’t tried yet) strap an iPad to the back of a seat and they could watch cartoons?

1 Like

IPad mount is a game changer, but often short lived!!! Entertains my maniacs (6, 4) for maybe an hour. But definitely is a good option along with the other suggestions.

2 Likes

We’ve crisscrossed the country several times with our 4 kiddos. So they’re used to it. Plan on stopping every 2 to 4 hours. We always stop at rest stops or parks. Sometimes state parks if they’re easily accessible. But we always picnic. Gets everyone out of the truck and walking around. We don’t do restaurants because you’re just sitting again. Small towns usually have parks with picnic tables and playgrounds are a bonus.

Got in the cab…depending on the age…coloring books, books, cards and games. Littles are harder for sure but just go for it man. They’re resilient. It was intimidating at first but it’s become normal. Have fun and make memories.

4 Likes