Customer power solutions…is there an appetite?

What happened to you, are you injured?

1 Like

Yeah, Trimalleolar fracture in my right ankle tail guiding at a cat skiing lodge :frowning: A sad way to end a busy ski season. Another downside is I can’t drive, otherwise I would still just go out camping and enjoy some mountain quiet.

1 Like

That sucks, I’m on the healing band wagon too. Broke left foot and my right ankle was an open fracture from a paragliding accident. I’m out like 6 months :frowning:

1 Like

Same, 6 weeks to weight bearing and 6 months min before ski boots. Sounds like we’re two pods. On a positive note I’m into my favorite part of this project which is the wiring. Was able to do most of it from the comfort of the couch as the kids played.

4 Likes

Tested and working, ready for install in my buddies GFC.

Eco worthy 30A solar controller, 12 point fuse panel, 3 way isolation switch (Bat 1, Bat 2, Bat 1&2), 12V socket, 2x USB w/ voltage, 3 toggle switches.

9” deep, 16 1/2” high.

3 Likes

NICE!!! Very tastefully done!

1 Like

that’s nice. a couple handles and good to go

1 Like

Well done, Wes! Compact and full-featured.

1 Like

Did the rest of the wire up for my pal in town. I was off my 1/2” on the width; but I think it’s going to look really tight once he builds out his platform. He is definitely stoked to have power, lights, and charging set up :metal:

Then just a couple RAM’s drying out the tents :joy:

2 Likes

I did not want to quite yet add solar. So I added a 3rd battery to my setup. The inverter has worked awesome so far as well. I have ran it without charging the batteries 17hrs running fridge, Diesel heater at night and lights.

1 Like

That’s a slick setup! The original idea was that once the truck was setup for a base camp ski touring that the solar would top up the battery from a night of lights, USB charging and the diesel heater. I then learned that here in central BC early to mid winter the sun doesn’t get high enough long enough to adequately do the job.

That’s a cool setup though. Where did you get those battery lugs? Also, I went the lithium option for two reason (not that you asked) one of the main ones was Weight. It looks like you don’t have your box built out too excessive. I have a full platform (3/4” ply) in the back so was able to shed 40lbs by using lithium.

I plan on making a shelf system for it. One would be to protect it from moisture and allow it to have vent elation without worrying about covering it with camp gear. I plan on only using half the bed for shelves and the fridge will sit on top of the shelf with a slider on it as well. Always more work to be done. But so far it has worked great for my needs. As it sits I can say I can go easily 2 days without needing to move or turn on my truck. All without any solar power. I got those at a local stereo shop. They’re made by Kenwood.

1 Like

That is a massive inverter! You’re running your fridge, heater and lights through that? Aren’t those all 12v loads?

1 Like

Yes I am running them all. Well the heather I plug directly to the battery posts. But the lights and fridge I run on the inverter. It’s 5000 watt inverter and peak is 10000 w. It has 4 plugs for items and 2 for USB. My fridge has an additional 2 for USB.

1 Like

It would be more efficient to just run the fridge and the lights straight off the battery, assuming they are 12v.

It’s probably not a huge difference, a decent inverter is 90-95% efficient but it would help.

edit: although if the inverter has 12v connections maybe it’s just passing that through without doing anything to it and then there would be no loss, so maybe I have no clue what I’m talking about. :joy:

2 Likes

Jesus. How many Ah is your battery setup?