Decided: Platypus Gravity Works- Gravity water filter recommendation?

I’ll have to do some more research than my 3 minute googling- in most of the photos there seems to be a “dirty bag” that feeds into the “clean bag” and then is distributed to your containers from there. I guess that could just be an example of collecting the filtered water. I’m interested if it’s something that I can gravity drop right into a container.

This is exactly what I’m looking for- I’ll check it out again. Thank you to everyone for re-upping their recs for this system. I had counted it out.

You have it right, there is a dirty bag that you can just take by itself to your water source and fill it up. When you get it back to where you’re going (or right there on the spot) you hook up the hose line with the filter and then hang it from a high point. Connect the clean bag at the bottom below and it will filter the entire dirty bag. It is definitely meant for bulk work and was great for 4 guys. It might be a bit much for solo unless you wanted to have an easy stockpile of clean water available. Not gravity, but I have a Katadyn Hiker Pro that works great for solo needs, just not as hands free as the gravity system

1 Like

We never carry the clean bag. We just use the dirty bag so we have a dedicated “contaminated” collector then we use the outlet hose off of the filter directly into our bottles. I believe the kit also comes with an adapter cap for nalgene bottles. Ill take a photo of how we rig it up once I get home.

1 Like

That would be ideal for me- I currently connect my MSR miniworks to nalgenes for quick work.

I can see the benefit of this, and in reality that’s really what purchasing a gravity system would be for me; for larger quantities when I’m isolated. Originally I only backpacked, so I’ve been hyper-focused on minimizing my gear to keep the load light. But now with my career, I’ve had to make some affordances and have been loving the quick trips I can bust out in a vehicle- which can handle more gear.

The GravityWorks system is in my shopping cart. Thank you everyone for the suggestions. If anyone has a local gear shop that ships, I’d be happy to purchase it online from them in support. DM their website to me.

2 Likes

I would recommend Big Berkey BK4X2-BB to anyone. In the past our water had strange smells and tastes, my kids didn’t like it so we decided to install this filter. Very easy to use and the water tastes so much better, we love it.

1 Like

I ended up getting the MSR Guardian Gravity system and I love it. I cut the dirty line to about 6” so I can hang it inside the camper. Even with the reduced drop, it still filters at an awesome rate!

2 Likes

I’m using the Big Berkey BK4X2-BB and we love it. The Berkey is easy to assemble, use and clean, and the filtered water from this unit tastes great.

1 Like