Do you have bed drawers?

Built these (with a friend - the carpenter clown) back in 2016. I can’t imagine spending as much time in my truck without a drawer system.

Man I really like the drawer solutions I’ve seen here. I’m just a weight weenie and can’t do it. My GFC is #250 and I can’t do another #200 or more for a Decked or home built drawer system. They are handy but I don’t have the luxury, my payload is #1,200 and so I have to do some soul searching everytime I add a ounce of weight.

3 Likes

Makes sense. I can’t imagine my drawers weighting 200#, though I did use 1/2’’ skate deck plywood (with eco glue!) which probably saved a few pounds on the overall weight. Maybe 100#?

Your drawer system looks great!

1 Like

Did you have to take those out when you got your GFC installed? They look pretty close to your bed rails.

1 Like

Fortunately, no. 3 of 4 brackets attach to the bed where there’s a cutout in the drawer system. For the fourth, there’s an inch of clearance between the top of the drawer and the bottom of the bracket.

These drawers don’t come out :joy:. Pretty sure we bolted them to the bed.

1 Like

We just weighed our diy wood drawers and they’re 75lbs total. We took a miminalst approach. Check out All-Terrain Family’s “minimalist ultra-light draw system and sleeping platform for overlanding” YouTube video

Can you post a link?

3 Likes

Very nice! I already have a jig for pocket holes.

Just decided to sell my decked system for my Ram 6’4" box if anyone is interested in the Olympia Washington area. Too much wasted space for us, we travel full-time in our truck and airstream.

1 Like

Can you share a picture?

The downstairs mattress is just 3in memory foam. I was going to cut to size but leaving it like this, while ugly, protects the kids from banging into the aluminum protrusions where the camper connects to truck. The drawers are only 75 lbs total which was important given we have a Tacoma and payload is limited

We roughly followed this design: Minimalist Tacoma drawer system and sleeping platform - YouTube

2 Likes

We set our homebuilt drawers and 20 gal powered water system from our old travel set-up in the Mouser mainly for winter storage but found they work pretty well in the new V2. I wasn’t planning on utilizing them to save some weight but will trust in serendipity.

7 Likes

I went with the 1300mm Ironman drawers and extended the top surface all the way to the edges… works flawlessly…

3 Likes

How did you find it with this system in the winter? I’m thinking about one drawer like yours, full platform with double drawers or doing a storage system horizontal at the cab side of the bed.

never thought about sitting in a chair inside… would sit nicely on my deck

This is just what I want to start out with I like this because it gives you an option to actually use the bed if need be. NICE!

i used to have decked drawers, but they were too heavy and i was tired of having to bend over when i would go in the bed with the camper down.

now i have bedrug, and use plastic bins which fit just as much as my drawers used to. i can pull them out in seconds, line them up under a piece of plywood to sleep on. and lean up against them to chill out on the cushy bedrug.

10 Likes

If anyone is considering the deck drawers for a 6’ Tacoma long bed, let me know, I am heavily considering selling mine

1 Like