🐾 Dog Rig (2011 Doublecab Tundra)

Nice! I’ve been looking at that same awning. What’s keeping it from opening all the way?

1 Like

Very nice! Looks almost exactly like setup! I like how you can pop the side doors for ventilation! I may borrow that idea!

1 Like

Honestly, I’m not sure. First I thought it was hitting the GFC at the pivot point so I bumped the whole thing back but that’s not the case. I talked to a guy on Instagram who got more range of motion than I did but had to crank on it really good. Rhino Rack said it should get 270° and I could warranty it if I wanted but I’m not convinced it isn’t user error… will keep playing with it!

2 Likes

Will you post a link for that step? Slick…

Sorry for the slow reply, been out of service! The brand is AMP, I got it on Amazon.

AMP Research 75305-01A BedStep… https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0041FXOFI?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

I was out at the end of July and ran into some rain. With the fully open panel, water runs from the hinge down the GFC frame. To she the water from the edge of the panel instead of the hinge I stole your ventilation idea, but did it a little differently. Just one length of paracord attached to the panel, then looped over 1, 2, 3 or 4 of the GFC mounting brackets depending on how open I want it to be. Seems to self balance and work ok. Secure the paracord with a bit of velcro as well. Thanks for the inspiration!

I think this config is looped over two mounting brackets.

Paracord is just knotted on one side of the panel hole.

Looped over one bracket has the highest opening, I set this a bit below horizontal for the most coverage.

I secure the paracord with a bit of velcro when not in use to keep it up out of the way.

Since I was messing around with the sides, I rigged up something for the rear as well. Here I didn’t want the paracord in the way, so I routed it a bit differently.

Stand alone loops in the panel holes which aren’t long enough to get caught in the door seal.

Thread one rope through the two loops and catch a knot on the latch. I added a couple of different knots to have different openings.

2 Likes

Rad build! Do you have a sense of how much your drawer weighs? I have both a camper and a Chocolate lab pup coming in June and want to mirror your setup pretty close!

It’s an awkward shape but it isn’t too heavy – maybe 100lbs? I could easily install / remove it on my own if I needed to. The gunner kennel is pretty heavy on its’ own.

Hey! Awesome build out. Where did you get the fan and how’s it holding up? I’m thinking about doing the same since I don’t really want to run a 12v ran. I’ve seen mixed reviews on a bunch on Amazon.

@Jeffbreezy The fan is this Solatek model from Amazon. It’s trucking right along, survived it’s first MT winter with no issues. I’m really happy with it so far.

Awesome, thanks! That’s the one I was looking at. I just got nervous with some of the reviews.

I really like your build. Where can I source the bumper step? Asking for my 5’2’’ wife…

Thanks! Bumper step here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0041FXOFI?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Thank you for the info and quick response!

How many universal brackets did you use? Two or three?

Just two — I had it on there before I got my hinges replaced & GFC swapped the brackets for me when they swapped the hinges. They only put in two so I figure it’s authorized :woman_shrugging:

Copying from the weekly thread for posterity

Installed an intake vent to provide extra airflow for the dog when driving w/panels closed. Can’t remember who shared these vents initially (someone here or on FB) but they seem super high quality and I think it will make a big difference!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08F3P3DRBi?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

After a few days of using this I have been really impressed. I monitor temps pretty closely and have a good sense of how they would respond in different condition. Previously, latching all the panels w/dog in crate + fan on would continuously climb past the outside temp until I could air things out — slower than without the fan, but still increasing. With the vent it sat about 5° Higher than the outside air but did not continue to climb and actually began dropping when I drove ~20 mins hwy speeds. So far, would recommend!

Cool. I just mounted mine with two and it seems solid, glad to hear that two mounts have been working for you as well.

2 Likes

Who makes that wind breaker on your roof?

Had it custom fabbed at Dark Horse Customs here in Bozeman. It attaches to the camper via track nuts.