Eric's 2016 Tacoma DCLB GFC Build

Great idea for the solar panel! I was pretty sure I was going to buy the GFC solar tray, but that would limit the use for the beef racks. You can also run a larger panel this way, it seems. THANK YOU!

Just an FYI, the panel I linked to in my original post seems to have been swapped out for a 100w panel. I have two that are 150w each, but it seems that the manufacture isnā€™t offering those any more (glad I picked up the 2nd one before they stopped selling them). Also looks like the mounts I used arenā€™t currently available. Probably still worth hunting around to find something similar or making your own if youā€™re comfortable with that since the gfc solution, while convenient is kind of spendy.

Thanks, yeah I noticed they were no longer available, but donā€™t look too difficult to source. Appreciate the response!

Have you had any issues with panel flex? I have two two-hundred watt Rich Solar panels to mount and like the look of your mounting system. The Rich Panels are 58 1/2 inches long, which is just a bit shorter than my XL GFC width-wise. I have read concerns about panel flex leading to micro-cracks, but donā€™t know enough about it all to know whether to be concerned myself. Thanks.

None that Iā€™ve noticed. Panels are working and no visible signs of any damage. Granted, Iā€™m not doing any aggressive wheeling in this truck.

Good deal. No aggressive wheeling even contemplated here. Thanks for the info.

Iā€™m looking to do something similar (cutting the panels). What did you do with the bag that goes around the panels? Iā€™m thinking of cutting a corner off or cutting and adding a hinge so it can be up (whole, gap) or down like normal.

Iā€™m lazy, so I just folded the grey panel cover under and itā€™s held in place by the bed sheet, works well.

1 Like

you can still go higher, if you like OMEā€¦ I have OME Dakar Heavy Duty + their AAL. Probably overkill for the V2, but my last setup, I had alot of weight. I might scale back when I upgrade to Deavers, and go with their Stage 2. I am right on the border though. My rear bumper weights ~365 with the full size spare and gas/water cans

Killer work to the OP love the little cubbies.

Awesome build. Lots to learn from here.

Have you weighed your rig after the build? Iā€™d be curious to know what a build like yours weighs on a CAT scale.

Peace.