Frozen door latches

Awesome work @Espinoza700 and awesome of you to share! Looks like a perfect solution.

2 Likes

Hit Josh up for the 3D print files. They work great!

Yeah just made them up for @Dignon so not selling them but happy to share if you want the file!

2 Likes

They’ve been awesome and have proven themselves over and over

1 Like

Just now seeing this thread, have wrestled with freezing latches for two years now. Boo to not being able to get my ski gear or hunting gear after driving somewhere.

I have a v1 camper, noticed that there’s a 1-2mm gap between the latch housing and the panel - would it be possible to print out a plastic cover or somehow cut a metal cover that could just slide between the panel and the latch? Anybody explored that avenue?

If you get the 3D print files from @jedgar for the V1’s he sent me; those should work great on your camper. I actually found those look better; but they’re definitely tight for closing the latch.

These covers are a game changer…if you don’t like to f-around; then this is the answer!

1 Like

Here’s a little video I did show how to setup and use Josh’s design. They’ve been great all winter!

GFC Camper - Frozen Latch FIX :metal: bonus video

4 Likes

I havent noticed if anyone reported their attempt with the covers from @Espinoza700 on a V2. Do they fit the V2? Thanks.

Now that the weather is getting warmer… the cover is becoming easier to slide on and off but I have zero concerns about it coming off as it’s held in place by a lip at the bottom of the cover plate….

1 Like

@PRob i get my v2 in may and I live close to him so might meet up to try them on a v2 before we print.

@PRob i only know of one person to try them on the V2 so far. They said they were close to hitting the frame, but didn’t. I also don’t know how consistent the placement is for different vehicles. The V2 should use the side cover/backing for all six latches.

1 Like

Hey @Espinoza700 - thanks very much for doing this!
Had some printed up and they have been working for a few weeks now.
Installed on a Standard V2 (Tacoma long bed).
They are mounted with your original idea of the smaller ones at the back door.
I did test the larger ones back there and they also work.
Haven’t done any really rough roads yet but long highway drives in pouring rain and things stayed put.
Cheers!

1 Like

Hello @Espinoza700 and @PRob
I can confirm that the side cover/backing will fit on the rear of a standard V2 built for a Tacoma long bed.
Cheers

1 Like

Here’s another cover option that I think should work. It actually replaces the latch gasket. The Alu-Cab latch is not exactly the same as what GFC uses (not Southco), but I think it is close enough that it should work. Alu-Cab Push Button Lock Cover (Each) ALUA-PB-COV

1 Like

Brilliant, I wonder if the dimensions are correct. Might just have to order one to find out.

2 Likes

I think it might be worth a try. :slight_smile:

I posted this on a different topic just adding this to the conversation this has worked brilliantly for me took care of a number of issues upgrading the existing mechanism.

Southco solution that worked for me

1 Like

Definitely one of the most knuckle smacking aspects of the design!

2 Likes

I just picked up my camper last week…the thing I find the most annoying is why is the damn key so hard to get into the actual key hole?

I did spray with dry lube lock too. Typically use this on ski racks in winter and solves a lot of issues.

3 Likes

I’ve found after a few months use it becomes easier as the tumbler gets worn. I have a habit of only locking one latch (which is the same I did on my topper) so I’ve noticed that the ones I use frequently are easier for sure.