Frozen door latches

@GFC_Support I think the problem is pooling of water throughout the entire latch and then freezing. Again from earlier post- I shot a crap ton of water from behind the keyhole with compressed air because it’s a cavern with a spring

@Dignon bigger handles probably wouldn’t be difficult to install. Even stepping up to a “C5” from the “C2” already on the camper would offer a sealed latch and option for the dust cover in my previous post. that would need only a slight enlarging of the mounting hole

1 Like

When I talked to GFC via email; any modification of such is not endorsed by GFC. I had gone down this same investigative route that you’re on about a month ago. I asked GFC about the possibility of swapping out to a T-handle and that was their response.

*Thanks for submitting a Service Request Form. Boeshield T-9 can be used on plastics, vinyl, and rubber without issue. So if you are having an issue with the latch itself (not the key cylinder), then I would recommend spraying the inside of the latch. The latch has a spring design, so giving that a good coating should be sufficient. *

*We do not recommend switching the latch to a different t-handle design. We have been running the same latches for 3 years. Yes, occasionally they may become frozen, but so can your tailgate, vehicle door, and so on—such is life when living in snow country :slight_smile: *

*Let me know if I can help with anything else. *

As time allows I have something in the prototype world with another user. Just waiting on the next iteration. As it stands I have one latch that’s open, and can’t be bothered dicking around with it because it’s -28 here right now.

I’m going to chalk this up to GFC will address this in the future as it has become a hot topic; or an aftermarket option may become available. I know the statement that ‘all doors’ freeze in cold temps seems to be repeated. But I know for a fact, in 25 years of working in outdoor based jobs/careers I’ve NEVER been latched out of a T-handle door on a pickup canopy or a line truck. Even when they’re coated with 5mm - 10mm’s of freezing rain there was still enough leverage to rotate the handle. Again…I’m not talking about the locking mechanism, simply the opening and closing mechanism. Here in the north it’s not uncommon to leave your canopy/topper unlocked to avoid locking your gear in the truck. Although there are definitely times I wish my gear was locked in the line truck…a good excuse not to freeze your ass off for a few bucks :joy:

There’s a real simple solution here gang…it seems like this is less of a problem in Montana somehow. So just move there :joy::joy:.

I think ‘T’ handles, full zip tent doors, and window options should be added to the V3 camper. We should start a survey :joy:

5 Likes

There is some truth to the “move to Montana” statement. It is cold enough there that water stays frozen and therefore out of things. My years in Idaho nothing really froze shut, but here in Oregon things are frozen shut daily.

5 Likes

back to rednecking an inner tube flap to keep water/snow out

3 Likes

after some creative tucking like a tranny on Friday, I got it to fit

the door on the driver’s side has lithium grease filling the cavity in the latch and the back door has inner tube covers. it’s supposed to be freezing rain and snow for the next couple days so let’s see how it goes. here’s to rednecking my expensive camper top YEEHAAW!!

4 Likes

It looks like you only tucked the top part of it. I’ll be curious to see how it fairs when you’re blasting down a snowy road. That’s what’s causing me grief. But your idea is a very rudimentary concept of what we have in mind. Just waiting on parts.

2 Likes

I tucked the ends too. there isn’t that much gap. I’m hoping it’s enough. COME ON SNOW! We’ve had a pretty easy start to the winter so far. All you need is a piece like the cover referenced above made for these slightly smaller latches but NOBODY makes them

1 Like

Totally. I went down this rabbit hole a month ago. We got nuked on over the holidays. Now we’re in an arctic flow. -32 this morning :cold_face:

you mind sharing the cold? I wanted to get in some ice fishing this year

1 Like

HA you can have it… we’re going into week number 2 of sub -25 temps. Worst time because the skiing would be all time; but the cold is debilitating.

1 Like

Yeah. Latches frozen… Was trying to get out and do some snowshoeing, but I couldn’t open the camper to load the snowshoes. Messed around with the rear hatch locks for about 20 mins before I could get in. Finally… The cylinders turned after about 5 mins, but the latch on the inside was still engaged. Also the struts won’t hold the rear hatch open now. Ugh. I’ll deal with that later…

I’ll be watching for some kind of solution to this lock conundrum…

Peace.

3 Likes

Update: we had freezing rain that turned to snow over night

driver side panel with lithium grease filling pockets- opened no problems but the grease is a little sticky like icing on a cinnamon bun mmmmm cinnamon bun

rear panel with redneck inner tube flap protector- dry as a bone and working properly

passenger side panel with no protection for the latches- frozen solid. 1 latch I couldn’t get a key in without a fight, the other I gave up on because I didn’t want to break the key. the latch I did get open had an ice cube in the handles’s spring area

moral of the story? these latches love holding water to freeze on you

9 Likes

Thanks for guinea pigging :call_me_hand:

1 Like

I got an Amazon gift card for Christmas, so I spent it on some boeshield. Will report back.
:call_me_hand::call_me_hand:

It helps for sure. _

1 Like

I’m totally going to put the inner tube ‘redneck’ fix onto the rig before I head down to Revelstoke next weekend! And slop some cinnamon bun icing on the springs of the other latches…mmmm cinnamon buns.

We’re out of the deep freeze and back into wet roads and cold snow.

3 Likes

Sent these out today for @Dignon to test out. They should sandwich between the latch and the panel for easy install/removal. The body and cover are dovetailed and sloped to keep water flowing away and hopefully not freeze closed. They are ABS plastic so should hold up decent, but Interior BC should give them a proper test! Thanks @Dignon for being the guinea pig with these! If they end up working i’ll share the 3D print file with anyone who wants to print their own.

25 Likes

I’d gladly pay you for some of these.

8 Likes

Would definitely be interested in these.
Nice work!

2 Likes

I’ll be very interested in the 3D print file after its field tests with @Dignon. Turns out there are a variety of free community center 3D printing options around me!

4 Likes