Getting my suspension installed

I had the OEM suspension that gave me about 2-2.5" lift. I know others on the TacomaWorld forum with the same amount of lift having issues as well. The part and install tool is only about $100, a small fraction of any lift that isn’t just spacers. I think it is worth it. The shop I got my kit from is actually starting to include this bushing with their lift kits. I called them to let them know when my diff failed and they said, “funny you mention it, but we are going to be adding that bushing to our kits soon.” So it isn’t just me who thinks this is an important part of any lift. $100 is a tiny fraction of replacing your front diff. Trust me from experience. And no, I never noticed vibrations.

1 Like

Thanks for the heads up man!

No problem. My buddy just had the bushing installed on my recommendation after my diff went. I am now the bushing evangelist.

2 Likes

So… Got everything done. Very mild upgrade. Ended up with about 1.25" lift. In my mind, that seems perfect for me. Time will tell.
Again, the mods are: OME Dakar medium duty leaf springs/OME rear shocks/Bilstein 5100 in front.
The dakars are definitely a ride improvement over stock. No more bouncing off the bump stops while unloaded. Headed out to the high country this weekend for some fishing. I’ll report in how it does loaded.
While I’m not super impressed with the flatter shape of the dakar springs, that may be how it has to be as I don’t want a bunch of lift. Bilsteins seem to give a firmer but quite comfortable ride up front.

Springs Dry

Overall stance of the truck Dry
1.25" lift with about 0.5" rake

I hope I don’t have any needle bearing, differential, or squeaking issues in the future.

Upgrade on the tires as well…

Peace.

4 Likes

Thanks everyone for the feedback too, BTW…

Peace.

1 Like

@Kwood What was your impact to ride height with those changes?

Looking to stay as close to stock ride height as possible, but I haven’t been very successful getting info around that.

About 2 1/2 in the front and 3 in the back. Are you trying to park in a tight garage or something?

@GFC706 truck looks good!

Thanks I think it came out good. Still almost stock, really…

Peace.

1 Like

Staying lower definitely helps with parking but the main consideration is for fuel economy.

Went down the full suspension and tires track with my Jeep and every add -on was 1-2 mpg less.

We do a lot of highway driving to get where we are going, so improving suspension without making the tank smaller is where my head is at.

Currently living in Washington where petrol isn’t cheap

1 Like

@GFC706 Your rig looks great! When the leaf pack begins to squeak, the best fix I have found is a very tacky grease on the polyurethane bushings, Prothane super grease. The new Dakars come with anti-friction pucks between the leaves, so most of the remaining squeak is from grease washing off at the bushings or the pucks popping off during serious flexing.

I replaced the yellow OME pucks with pucks from Wheelers Offroad that fit more snug. I also installed vinyl liner between the leaves, from Speedway Motors.

2 Likes

I was just told by ‘my guy’ that OME is replacing squeaky springs under some kind of warranty program. I have to provide a video with a copy of my receipt and they will send a new set to the shop.

1 Like

@Slowboater That sounds a bit too good to be true.

It does look good.

Have you had a chance to load it up yet for a trip?

Yeah. A light camping load kept the springs off the bumpstops. No true off road test, I’d bet any real off roading would bottom the springs loaded. Unloaded with just my dry weight the springs are really good so far.

Peace.