Interior rear door latch

Stoic demolisher’s idea has two advantages. It is quick and self storing out of the way.

I used a 4’ or 5’ piece of 1/8" elastic Shock cord.

2 Likes

Ive been following this thread and trying to figure out if this mod is needed. I just got back from a trip that was super windy/rainy (a huge branch off of an old cottonwood broke in the wind) and things were fine with the back hatch just pulled closed. The side panels could not do that, but the back is ok.

I guess my bigger concern is (the extremely unlikely chance of) getting locked in there by some bozo while in stealth mode (camper not popped up).

Thoughts?

1 Like

btw, in this storm, the camper was deployed and it did just fine…I had the back hatch closed for my pup.

You could put something on the strike plate to prevent the latch from engaging.

1 Like

I really like this solution. I was using a couple loops tied off to the same holes which i’d secure with an s-biner on each side. However that was mildly annoying to clip and unclip. I just replaced those with a long length of shock cord and while it’s still a little cumbersome to pull the cord into the slots, the ability to just push down on the cord on each side to release it is much more convenient. Also my little loops would sometimes flip down and get stuck under the seal when closing my rear panel, but this shock cord stays out of the way nicely.

I agree. Stoic’s solution is pretty perfect. I didn’t have shock cord laying around, but I know what I’ll do if my junk spring contraption fails or proves not strong enough…

Peace.

Ervandrew try using two adjacent fingers spread about 1" - 2" apart and push or pull the shock cord between the fingers into the slot. With a little practice it’s really easy to put the cord in the slot.

Bs2000, thanks for posting a clearer picture of what I was trying to describe.

I’d been trying to figure out a good way to hold the rear door when camping. Your post was like a light bulb lite in my little brain. I just posted the pictures so others could use it if they wish.

You could try locking the key while the latch is open so it won’t allow the lever to return to the closed/latched position.

2 Likes

i used some 550 paracord, gutted it, finger trapped and looped at both ends - to be able to attach things, lights when open or if needed to attach something to hold it closed. the knots keep the finger trap from coming out, and the 550 has a bit of stretch so when its pulled to close its easy, and it retracts back out of the way - nice and flat. took a few tries to get the length correct

4 Likes