Is A GFC Just A Step To A Larger Camper?

I’m with you all on the reasons why a GFC. With my GFC on my truck, I can get away from the noisy generator hordes, and camp in peace and quiet.

Although after I forgot my camp stove the last time I camped, I considered buying a cheap microwave to plug into the bed of my F-150! :laughing: But there is nothing like going to sleep listening to the bugs and frogs singing, and waking up to the birds singing and looking out my screen doors of the GFC. Like camping when I was a kid again, without the hard and rocky ground to sleep on, or having to carry it on my back.

3 Likes

So have there been any actual stress fractures in your V1 campers? I was considering buying a used one.

The GFC is for me when I’m solo. The travel trailer is for me and my wife when we go together. Both are delights.

3 Likes

Same for me… GFC for solo or partner and I. When the kids come we bring the trailer. If I had to choose just one the GFC would win hands down.

4 Likes

Once i saw the GFC set at Expo West years ago, i was in! I picked up my camper up in December 2022 in SoCal and have gone in the area of 15 campouts. I’ve gone throughout the camper to make sure nothing was loosening, all good, after countless dirt roads and highway driving. I previously owned the launch edition superlite and thought that was easy, this baby sets up in a fraction of the time. Im extremely happy with my investment into my camping/ weekend worrior set. So cheers to you guy, for making a superior product!

3 Likes

Quite the opposite for me. See class A motorhome in the background.

1 Like

@Jmyers - Lucky for us and their owners, we haven’t seen any V1’s with space frame fractures outside of a few outliers due very abnormal circumstances. While I’d still be looking at a V2, if you’re eye-balling used V1’s, you can be confident knowing their construction is solid.

2 Likes

I just ordered my GFC camper because the 0% financing promotion caused me to finally make up my mind on it. Yeah, I can afford the camper outright, but why not leverage some ‘free money’ while letting the rest continue to gain interest in a high yield savings account?

I’m going from a larger pop up camper (and ground tent depending on the situation) to the GFC camper. I have an older Coleman E1 “off road” popup and it has its strengths — when camping with a larger group of people in areas that are relatively easy to get to with a car or truck, it’s great. It’s a place for shelter if the weather is bad, and it can sleep like 6 people so if folks who don’t have a lot of camping gear want to go along, there’s a place for them to sleep.

However a lot of the camping I’ve been doing lately has been dispersed and more difficult to get to, like along less traveled forest service roads and Jeep trails. In those cases, the popup is way too big to tow so I had been using a ground tent. Ground tent is fine, but I have a buddy who built a platform in the back of his 4-door Jeep, and the bonus is that he can squeeze into small campsites, level his Jeep, and be done, so no need to spend a lot of time looking for campsites that have enough of a flat surface to accommodate a ground tent. So, I want similar capabilities to that.

I chose the GFC camper because of its weight (not ridiculously heavy), slimmer profile (some of the truck campers are HUGE) and the fact that I can still use the bed of the truck with the bonus of being able to lock equipment in the bed under the shell. Should also still be okay for basic off roading, like if I got to Moab, I’m going to have more weight on the truck, but it shouldn’t negatively impact the experience too much, like a big ‘normal’ camper shell would.

So yeah, do I absolutely NEED the GFC camper? No. But I’m at a place in life where I can afford to be frivolous from time to time and I think it will enhance my camping experience.

9 Likes

Nailed it! The GFC is perfect for you.

2 Likes

How was your experience with the financing? Anything to note? I was thinking of doing the exact same thing when it came time to order mine.

@BTOC The financing portion was super easy. I did all of it while I was on the phone with the GFC salesperson as I was in front of my computer when I was on the phone.

I goes kind of like this:

1 .They ask you about the options you want on your GFC Camper, just to get a price. This doesn’t create the actual order in their system, but they calculate the price based on the options you have selected.

1. They then prepare and send you, online, an application for credit through Synchrony Bank. The application for credit has the amount of credit already filled in and that amount is the cost of the GFC Camper.

2. The decision from Synchrony is fast, so once that is approved, then you start the “real” order and go through the options again.

3. And … that’s it! Then you’re done on the phone.

4. You’ll get some things to review and respond to in e-mail, like reviewing your order, a form to provide extra information like your VIN, and then eventually through e-mail, it’ll prompt you to pick an installation date.

Since then, I got the stuff in the mail from Synchrony. It’s basically a credit card. The one thing about it is that you have to pay everything off in a year to get the 0%. After that, the APR goes up to something ridiculously high like 29%. GFC will explain this to you on the phone but just mentioning that here.

But, that’s it! It all worked out. Generally I’m against taking out loans for stuff like this, but 0% for a year, as long as you can afford it? Hell yeah!

2 Likes

@Jph200 - You lookin’ for an unpaid internship? That was one hell of a breakdown of the financing process, haha. For anyone other curious folks, we have all the info you need an more on our GFC Support Page.

4 Likes

@GFC-Thayne Haha, I’ll think about it. I’d love to live in Montana. :slight_smile:

But on a more serious note, glad I can help! I thought the process was super easy. Everyone at GFC was great to work with. I worked with Russell when I had some basic questions about the camper itself, then talked to Tim when it was time to do the financing and order.

2 Likes

For me, it’s a base camp in the desert (think southern Utah), where I can drive into places like Capitol Reef, Escalante and the Maze with water (this is the key) and then put on a backpack and go wandering into Upper Muley, Coyote Gulch and to places like the Harvest scene. Without the GFC…Can’t get “theah” from “heah”…

3 Likes