Leaking hinges in rainstorm

I’m getting a lot of water leaking at the hinge on the rear hatch when it’s raining. Doesn’t seem to leak when closed up. Would like to be able to stay dry sitting on the tailgate. Anyone have the same problem or a solution?

To be sure, is it really leaking through the hinge and not simply running from the corner of the hinge down to the center of the hinge? I ask because during my first two times with the GFC in the rain I thought my hinges were leaking. After wiping things down with a towel I noticed a slight trickle from the corner of the hinge towards the center. It would quickly build up and drop. Closing the hinge stopped all “leaks”. That’s when I realized that the hinges will all do that if opened past 90 degrees in the rain.

1 Like

Try limiting the angle. Can use some baseball net string to keep it from extending past 90*. Otherwise GFC has repeatedly stated that this is not an intended use of the camper. If you’re in a lot of rainy areas it’s worth getting an awning.

It doesn’t matter if the hinge is water tight or not, if you have the hatch open beyond parallel with the ground, the water will run off the sides and down into the bed. This happens with any camper shell with a rear door that is hinged upward and goes beyond parallel with the ground.

GFC has not figured out how to make water run uphill yet.

3 Likes

It leaks through the hinge and drips on the middle of the tailgate…never had an issue with a snug top or a leer. A strip of duct tape would on the hinge would fix it. But that seems silly to add to a $5k purchase

1/2” dowel or aluminum rod with some waterproof fabric fits in the corner pieces really well, @ace7196 had some pictures posted

1 Like

Okay I’ll try and find that. I did make some “gutters” using silicone bead down the steel tubes on the rear corners of the frame. It helps redirect the run off.

I have thought about using some silicone bath tub sealant between the plastic hinge and the panels to deal with water rolling down the panel and getting between those pieces. I haven’t had mine out in the rain yet, but I have been thinking a lot about how to be able to use my tailgate in the rain. I haven’t come up with any leak proof solutions yet though.

1 Like

Personally the awning route offers more coverage as to why I suggested it. But if I were to not go with the awning the root issue is the rivets aren’t watertight. I would use some sort of penetrating sealant and apply on the rivets and between the panel and hinge as best you can. I’d be careful adding anything that could erode the hinge since that is a known weak spot. I haven’t experienced leaking from the hinge but in heavier rains and at that point I’m either not outside or heading to the next location. Interested in the solution, best of luck.

1 Like

We actually got into this discussion some on the what’s up with hinges breaking thread.
I used a waterproof sealant to fill the small gaps of the outside of the riveted hinge. This eliminates water from getting underneath the hinge and then dripping out the back of it. This helps if keeping the panels open for just a short time.

I have experience two kinds of leaks near the hinge on each panel. The first is what we have already been talking about and is pictured below. The harder it rains the harder it drips. My recommendation is like others have said which is to use some kind of cord or rope to limit the panels from opening past parallel or put a sealant in the gaps or both. This will eliminate water from getting behind the hinge but its not a substitute for an actual awning. Or the obvious don’t leave the panels open while its raining.
Second kind of leak I found is from the welds on the frame of the gfc. These welds cause the rubber seal to be deformed and let water in. It’s rare and I believe it only happens under extreme circumstances. Super heavy rain or when spraying water directly with a hose but it can happen.

2 Likes