Leaking in the camper

Brand new unit and having the same issue, as well as leaking at various other places. Then today after washing the rig after a weekend of camping I found this….

Water inside the frame.

The third brake light leaks and the wiring snapped off.

I can’t blame GFC because I did my bulb seal myself, but it leaks badly. This past weekend it poured rain all weekend. Water every day on the mattress.

For the money, the quality is poor and the customer service is terrible…well it’s non-existent.

2 Likes

second that. it’s good until you pay. you know, 'Murican manufacturing

2 Likes

Would Chinese manufacturing make the customer service better?

3 Likes

I get water pooling inside the bottom frame rails after camper washing. This does not seem to be an issue as the water does not infiltrate the camper interior and eventually drains down the outside edge of the truck once the truck moves. I treated my wood bed platform with a waterproofing sealant as I did not expect this camper to be completely water/dust proof. I bought the camper with the expectation that leaks may occur and I understand that it is not a fully contained camper but a camper shell on steroids. My old Leer shell always had minor water/dust leaks despite all of my mitigation efforts. Take this statement with a grain of salt as this is my opinion based on very limited to no wet weather exposure to my camper. The large pools of water in the bed and substantial leaks some are experiencing are concerning and I hope you guys find a solution.

Did you reach out to GFC directly about this?

They are hiring more people to help with this issue monthly. At the end of the day they are still a startup and working out the kinks of being a company with fewer employees. Communication will improve, I encourage you to reach out to them directly to see what they say about the water in the frame. Also someone posted in here about some plastic squares they use to cover that hole so that could help with that issue!

they would have India customer service who would answer the phone but not actually get things done. but they would answer your call still more than I ever got at GFC

2 Likes

I’ll stick with US based personally. The only thing worse then no action is being lied to about the action. But I get your point :+1:

2 Likes

I don’t understand why GFC doesn’t address this issue publicly. I know they read the forum. Many people are reporting water intrusion on the V2. I love my camper. I just want a solution. Emailing them takes weeks.

We’ve narrowed it down to bad caulking or no caulking at all. Why not make a video on what caulking to buy and where to apply it.

6 Likes

I have zero leaking so far but yes that would be great to have. I can’t remember where I posted it but OSI quad max in black is available at most home depots. GFC uses teroson 5555 but they are the same stuff off the same machine from the same mixer.

1 Like

I suspect it comes down to caulking too. Mine doesn’t leak and has an extremely clean and professional caulking job. I’ve meticulously inspected all seams and I don’t have a single imperfection. I’m not bragging, just doesn’t seem like a coincidence. I believe it’s black silicon because that’s what I used in my bed and feels identical but GFC would have to confirm.

Edit: looks like it’s not silicone, glad someone had the real details

1 Like

6 in 1 half dozen in the other

1 Like

Yes I have reached four times with no response if mine is leaking in September and October in the northwest it’s gonna be ruined by spring with all the rain we get I’ve very disappointed and annoyed and at this point will not recommend these to anyone
Mine is leaking right at the silver joints on the corners

My water intrusion mainly ends up in my frame, this must be pretty common as I have narrowed it down to the same corner frame caps we all have. They have holes that let water into the frame. This was confirmed by pouring water over the cap with the side door open and observed water pouring in. Also could see light shining through the cap holes when shining light inside the large frame holes. I am going to try to seal the corners so water does not sit in frame when parked.

@bbeyota - The frame and tent tubes are specifically designed to channel water inside of themselves. Those slots on the end caps are intentional drains and if you seal them up you will have problems with overflow.

4 Likes

Sounds good. I think part of the issue with pooling in the frame is the bulb seal is restricting the drain holes on the bottom of the caps. It does drain but very slow. I may cut a small notch in the bulb seal to allow the frame to drain. I appreciate the quick response!

@bbeyota - There are definitely some non-obvious nuances to the design. Just wanted to make sure no one ends up accidentally creating an unintentional water storage system :slight_smile: You can trim the outside of the bulb seal to allow for drainage but still leaving the inside strip to direct water into the tailgate gap.

2 Likes

Perfect! Though I am looking for some clever water storage locations. :thinking:

2 Likes

This is all great info thxs and I’ve reached out 4 times and no response I get there is lots of things we can do to stop this but we shouldn’t have to do anything it should be done when we pick it up I’m just annoyed with how long we waited and how much we spent I just venting but thxs for all the great info

4 Likes

Has anyone tried spraying their thing with a shower during install to look for leaks, and then asking GFC for remediation or at least very clear remediation instructions if any are detected?

Kinda feel like that’s the move… I carry a hose, water tank, and pump, wouldn’t be too hard. I would hope there’s a polite way to do that that’s like, “hey no offense, just doing my DD here”

1 Like