Mattress options for the Superlite

Trip was great! Six nights passed by too quickly. Three nights in the Sierra, and three nights doing portions of the Mojave Road.

As for tent with the Hest inside: no problems with the Superlite. Since it expands up to six inches, there’s room to spare. We have two Rumpls and a yoga block (that I use to wedge up the Superlite front end for foot clearance/height) up front, in that dead space, and sometimes swap out the Aeronaut Hoverquilt up there instead, and then there’s space in the back/front of the entrance to stash some inflatable pillows that we use in conjunction with the Hest pillows, and my wife stores sleeping clothes and other nightly items up there too. I love that aspect of it — since the Hest is shorter, we get bonus room for storage.

(Pardon our dog licking, hah)

1 Like

Awesome feedback! Love that GX btw.

1 Like

Thanks! The GX has been a fun platform to build around given we’re limited in terms of parking space in our building’s garage (height and length), and it’s also our (once-a-week) daily driver, so having modularity was important to us. Unintended consequence: it keeps things light on the rig, and driving still feels good loaded.

I was able to a 3 inch open cell foam topper that is doing well with my testing. Seems to be temperature resistant in temps down to ~25º F - only slight increase in stiffness. Promising but time will tell with some colder temperatures.

Quick report back on the Hest!

As mentioned above, it fits perfectly in the superlite, I have zero problems zipping down or anything. It does stretch the straps to about their maximum though, which, to me, is more of a problem with the strap length, I am not sure why the straps aren’t just a few inches longer to allow you to easily hook them in and then cinch.

I am having problems bottoming out in the mattress, but I am a big guy (260). My wife does not have any issues at all, sleeps comfortably. I am good just laying down, feels comfy, but my hips take a beating at night. This is also compounded a bit by the fact that I am 6’3", and the superlite is just short enough to make it not easy for me to just stretch out on my back to give my hips a break. I am considering putting either a yoga mat or perhaps an inflatable thinner thermarest style mat underneath the hest to try and alleviate the hip pain.

1 Like

At your size, I am surprised you are in a clamshell style RTT! I’m 6’, 175 lbs and I have to put my 30" x 80" Thermarest Mondo King XLW diagonally in order to stretch out on my back. Of course, with a wife, that is not an option for you.

WARNING TO SUPERLITE OWNERS WHO HAVEN’T WATERPROOFED YOUR TENTS: Do NOT leave your expensive mattresses or bedding inside of the SL. With the slightest rain, water intrusion is possible and mold will be an issue.