Platform Camper Vs. Topper and RTT

Agreed. I wouldn’t be on this forum if I weren’t at the end of my rope with this camper. I’ve had all latches replaced, seals replaced with the correct seals after the wrong ones were used in installation in Montana, gas struts replaced after both blew up and spit a little oil on my tent sides, had to drill out the locks after getting stuck out of my tent in the winter. The tent is super loose and flappy; it’s no longer an option to put an expander on the gas struct to push the tent open a little more. If the wind blows more than 15 mph, it slams the tent closed if I am facing the wind.

My tent leaks so severely that I rarely have the panels in the camper when I travel. I have to put them in my truck’s cab as my truck’s bed is either a dirt pile or a swimming pool. I have had significant mildew issues as well.

GFC is good with listening to me when I am so pissed that I must go again and get a hotel in the winter or rain. I bought a blue tarp that I will be bungee cording for my camper at my house. Super disappointed.

I have the Topper and Superlite combo. I love this setup so far. I went this route for versatility. We have used the Superlite on both my boyfriends Jeep and my Tacoma. And we store it when not in use. I like to have the option of swapping it on our vehicles depending on our needs. And the slim design of the Superlite and low weight make it easy to store. I didn’t like the thought of having a tent on my truck full time and for me, this is the perfect setup. It may not look as cool as the platform camper though. I also didn’t notice much of a mpg loss with this either, maybe .5-1mpg.

2 Likes

Contact GFC, let them know your concerns with water and that you are hesitant to make an order.
Getting information straight from the source about their current implementation status and number of service tickets for water intrusion is going to be your best way to make an informed decision that you feel comfortable with. I am getting my GFC installed in March and have had a great experience so far with customer service and have found that the best most accurate information is going to come from contacting them directly.

1 Like