Product Improvement Tour (P.I.T.)

What’s your trip plans? Wondering if you are gonna come thru Northern California. Would love to buys some accessories that you have for sale along the way?

I am so ready for my hinges to be replaced. I’m tired of not using one side - and wondering if the rear is going to explode…

3 Likes

Finally got my GFC back yesterday, it’s been at the shop since mid-October. I was the first hinge failure, build #43.

John dropped it off, unfortunately I had to put it on dollies in the garage as my 3rd gen has a crack in the block and is awaiting warranty repair. Looks like I got the new aluminum front and rear bars, new hinges, and sealant.

I was asked about a new powder coat on the frame, because I have that shitty matte/flat gray that shows stains and wear, and I asked for it to be done. Didn’t hear back, and unfortunately it wasn’t done. So I still have a shitty looking frame. Oh well, now just have to wait for the truck to be done.

Overall, the hinges look much better with the sealant on top and underneath. Can’t wait to get back in the thing after a few months of not having it

2 Likes

Can you post pics of what the new hinge/seal looks like?

1 Like

Bummer to hear about your engine issue.

Would be interested to see some pics of the frame - I was only a few builds after you and would call mine a glossy gray that has held up very well.

1 Like

In case it was missed, here are the route maps, from a new thread:

@Mike_GFCUSA - What prep work should we do before you arrive? I can see a possible need for awnings or racks to be removed, and there may be other things we could do to streamline the PIT stop.

1 Like

I appreciate all the back up!

Please remove anything on the outside such as an awning, it is hard to use the sealant applicator with anything in the way. And of course anything on the inside that is tucked up against the inner upper frame tubing that runs along the bottom of your tent. The camper will be removed for the operation so making removal easy will help as well. I know people have extensive set ups and I don’t need you to remove everything from the bed, just make the mounts as accessible as possible. Tacos normally help as well.

3 Likes

I should specify that Bozeman does not have the greatest tacos.

3 Likes

lol - as I prepare 20 characters of tacos.

2 Likes

@Mike_GFCUSA If we don’t have an appt to get fixed, but want to be inspected for use/possible failure of hinge, can that be done at one of these stops?

1 Like

Any idea how much lead time we will get that the tour will be in an area? Two weeks notice? One week? One day?

Not asking when since dates are still TBD.

The logistics of getting multiple campers fixed and coordinating must be a nightmare.

I hope I am home during the swing through my area and can get enough notice to use PTO if it is during work hours. Have some travel plans that are not able to be changed, but that is my problem.

1 Like

Just recently purchased an early model camper, used from Tacomaworld. Camper still carries warranty until October 2020, how can I get on this tour list ?

Passenger side replaced previously but the drivers side also needs to be replaced, as it is currently inoperable and is held in place by zip ties rather than rivets. He removed the gas struts as well since the door wasn’t being used, assuming to prevent more damage to the surrounding hinge components.

Is the return trip include California?

1 Like

I will give you Socal guys a big heads up on ETA and I will remain int he areas for likely days at a time (in Socal). I just moved up from there so I’ll likely see some old friends and some industry friends down there as well so I can delay for those who need a bigger window.

1 Like

The last legs of the trip are all through Cali.

1 Like

Good to hear.

The logistics, communication and coordination with all of us can’t be easy or fun.

1 Like

It has been a lot less painful than I expected which I appreciate, everyone has been very helpful and flexible enough.

Please get to the PNW. Not using one side and constantly worrying that the ones I am using are going to explode sucks. They have all started to split.

I hope it doesn’t happen in the middle of a rainstorm or snowstorm.

2 Likes

Yeah, I was surprised to see that Washington wasn’t on the route. Not sure what to think about that.

1 Like