Public Lands Conservation and Access

I just wanted to start a thread about access and protection of the real reason we are so passionate about out rigs. I think this would be a good place to discuss what conservation/advocacy groups we might participate in and to share important news in the topic of public lands conservation/protection/preservation. If you hear of an important land use public comment period, post it here so we can weigh in. Joined a productive conservation group? Let us know. I sometimes fear, when I am driving or hiking in the west that it will eventually be carved up like back east, with islands of public lands in a sea of private property. I am personally a member of the Sierra Club, but I have a buddy of mine that is a member of Backcountry Hunters and Anglers (https://www.backcountryhunters.org/) because it aligns well with his pursuits. If you are a member of some other conservation group, share it with us here.

4 Likes

Backcountry Hunters and Anglers is a very fine organization! They do so much for everyone, not just those of us that hunt and fish

I’m a rock climber and a member of the Access Fund, which is a nonprofit that focuses on conservation and stewardship of climbing areas, advocacy, education, etc. If you’re a rock climber in the states, you’ve most likely benefited from their work! I feel like one of the biggest treasures we have is our public land. We need to work to maintain it the best we can for ourselves and future generations.

Semi-related rant: lots of people in California are mad right now because some national forests are closed to certain/all activities due to extreme fire danger. I understand wanting to be able to recreate on your public lands, but the fact of the matter is that lots of people don’t know how or can’t be bothered to recreate responsibly. Many of our fires in the past have been caused by careless or illegal campfires, and we don’t have the resources to police everyone OR fight any more fires than we’re currently dealing with. These people complaining about gov’t overreach in closing the forests need to check their selfishness. If they all burn down then pretty soon we’ll have nowhere to recreate. End rant.

3 Likes

I feel you. I live in Flagstaff in a huge ponderosa pine forest. We always get antsy over the summer with all the out if town folks camping and being irresponsible with fire. I’ve personally have had to put out unattended fires in forests within a few miles if my home.

1 Like