Regear your truck?

Hi jedgar, thanks for replying. I’d love to chat with your friend. I have a second gen manual an am having trouble finding enough information surrounding the regear. I would love to hear from them about the experience.

DM me your questions and I can pass them on.

I have a 3rd gen and just got the 5.29 and love them, but… if you have a third gen start with the OV Tune first, then start thinking about the regear.

2 Likes

Update: I got my GFC installed last week. 3rd gen taco pushes fine in normal conditions with 4.88s and OVT.

Coming out of Montana down into Wyoming the wind was absolutely gnarly. The GFC is basically a giant sail and definitely has an impact on power and speed. If you’d getting a 3rd gen taco and plan on 33s or bigger with the GFC, I definitely recommend getting 5.29s.

1 Like

So I got the regear done and thought I would share my thoughts. I went with Nitro gears 4.88 and also added an Eaton rear eLocker.
Driving surface streets and lower speeds it’s not that noticeable but it is different. More torque off the line. At highway speeds and especially climbing hills is very noticeable. The new gears hold the speed much more efficiently. Previous to the re gear I would be in cruise control doing 65 mph and would come to a very small hill and the engine would Rev. That no longer happens. On steeper highway hills the engine would scream at almost 4K rpm in order to keep 70 mph That is no longer a thing. I would say overall I am satisfied with the added performance on paved roads. I have also been off roading quite a bit and see an increased amount of torque when climbing hills. 4 low feels much better. I think my favorite part of the re-gear is this new rear locker. There are some steep technical hill climbs that I couldn’t make in 4 low before. Now that hill is no problem with the rear locker engaged. Bottom line if you have a small or midsize pickup and a gfc I would highly recommend a re gear.

2 Likes

Do you try OVTune before gearing?

No. I did consider it but after an endless amount of research decided a re gear would be most beneficial.

So you got a tune. What tire size you got? When I had 265 70 17 it wasn’t bad but 285 70 17 is much different. Maybe a tune would be good too. I need to stop spending money on this thing…

2 Likes

For what it’s worth in my opinion you can’t really “power” your way out of wrong gearing with an automatic. A regear just makes things work so much better on road and also is night and day better off. If you can afford it, it is the way to go.

Note: all my experience comes from Jeeps on 35s and 37s so ignore me if needed :+1:

3 Likes

Yeah I’m running 265/70/17’s at the moment. The hesitation of acceleration and chasing of the gears was driving me up the wall. So I plopped down the $250 and had it tuned. Re-gearing and suspension was next on my to do list, but I can’t seem to find anything decent in stock anywhere for suspension. I guess I’m just gonna have to end up getting some Dever leaf packs and re-gearing until they start getting suspension kits back in stock everywhere.

1 Like

I bought a brand new truck at the wrong time for sure. Nothing is in stock anywhere… I want to get into my 285/75/17 that are sitting in the garage, but I can’t get the lift in order to fit them…

I feel your pain. My lift is “indefinitely backordered” :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

After reading everything here I pulled the trigger on some Nitro Gear 4.30’s :metal:with 37’s it should be perfect.

3 Likes

I plan to add an Eaton Truetrac up front to match the rear end. I needed to order a gear spacer so the mods are on hold for now.

2 Likes

It will never end. And when you think it does, you will find more to do or redo old projects.

I regeared to 4.56 and im on 35s. No plans for 37s though thankfully.

My new projects are parts to make the truck more huckable, and try to keep things light.

Yes you’re right. Definitely a rabbit hole. I’m not sure how I got here but I guess it started with this go fast.

3 Likes