Show us your truck!

Has a Ram now… looks to be AEV

1 Like

Lol. Trades in for an AEV and doesn’t even get the Cummins. What a waste. Those trucks are huge, I can’t even see over the tailgate let alone try to hop in it. Dave and his brother do stellar work though.

1 Like

Weighed the truck without the gfc. 5100 pounds. So fully loaded with gear i should be close to capacity.

Thanks for your opinion on that awning. I was considering it myself after seeing tacodust hype it on IG. Maybe using a cordless drill to open it is the way to go.

Been a while since I’ve been close to 5k… at one point topped out just over 6k… shed 500lbs to get to 5555 without my rtt on. Having a S/C and now prorock60 helps my worries about weight

Curb weight with the diesel is 5011, just FYI. I would strongly suggest adding Timbrens if you attempt to go anywhere off road fully loaded. The bed pretty much rides on the bump stops off road, slow or high speed while fully loaded. If you have the money the Chevy perf front and rear hydro bumps are much better suited. Stock fully loaded is 6200 lbs for the diesel.

Thanks for the bumpstop tips. I suspect the scale is off because I have steel bumpers, sliders, and a winch on my rig. My goal is to keep the wt down as much as possible, but also have decent protection. Luckily my camping gear is pretty minimalist.

I saved all that weight primarily switching my front bumper and full skids to aluminum…

They don’t take a beating as well as steel on the trail but they still do their job protecting what they need to protect.

Sliders and rear bumper you can’t go aluminum but those take the most abuse and wouldn’t want those aluminum anyway.

Luckily AEV skids are boron so you get the weight of Aluminum and strength of steel. The bison compared to zr2 is only 206 lbs more including front and rear bumper. Skids can’t be more than 80lbs but I’m just guesstimating there. Personally that route is the best route with a zr2.

yeah - I have thought about it.
I actually think I will end up just carrying two awning poles and running something like this…
I have never camped with an awning before, and only once have I shared someone else’s. Going this route, setup may take a bit longer, but with how infrequently I use one, I am not concerned. The other benefit is reduction of weight - Especially up high.
The focus the past year has been to keep things as light as possible - The driving experience is just way better that way and you can push the truck harder.

Not this exact tarp - I am still undecided, but you get the idea…

He wanted gas for various reasons - I am confident he doesn’t feel it’s a waste. You should ask him about why he chose gas vs diesel.

i’ve ran a Slumberjack Roadhouse tarp for a few years now and it never leaves my truck now. a great option to add shelter behind your truck. the truck side has straps the run down to the tires and buckle to fasten. it would then extend over the rear hatch and supported with poles and ropes. we’ve even had two back to back one weekend camping since it was raining the whole time… we put a propane fire ring in the middle and had tons of space protected from rain

2 Likes

Is your RTT floor fixed one piece or modular?

It has a fixed floor

patiently waiting order #3433 one year togo! Lol

3 Likes

#3433? might have a little longer than a year… sorry to break it to ya

A little exploring close to home

3 Likes

Likely #991, 3433 is your invoice #

Oh geez that sounds way better! Lol
I wasn’t sure where to find the build #

I have some of the early 2nd gen Tacoma KB Voodoo steel bedside caps. They fit well, and it’s easy to seal the gaps in the bed side with aluminum tape, then run a bead of caulk between the bed cap and bed side to seal everything. I filled the holes in the KBV caps (they don’t come that way now) with caulk, too. I wanted to finish off a tube, so I also ran a bead along the outer edge of the bed cap to give it a cleaner look. Whatever gets into the bed space isn’t coming through there.

As far as KB Voodoo goes, some very early parts suffered from rough cuts on the plasma table (or whatever process was used), and the paint wasn’t very good. Changes were made by the time I bought the bedside caps, and mine have clean cuts, and are rust free after several years. I recently bought an aluminum bed cap to replace my old steel one, and it’s a nice part. Chad offered to replace the rusty steel cap years ago, but I was banging it up often enough with tools that I didn’t see the point.