Suspension upgrades?

It’s a midsize truck, it does what is expected of a small truck. You’d have the same limitations with a Frontier, Colorado/Canyon, or Ranger.

There are quite a few leaf spring recommendations in this thread if you read back through. If you are wanting to stay stock height while fully loaded you may have to go custom from Deaver or Alcan. And a better idea than brake upgrades, which are a bandaid, is to really lean out your setup. I dropped a lot of weight by dumping stuff I didn’t really need, you don’t need to bring all your gear on every trip.

For weighing a vehicle look for CAT scales in your area, usually any truck stop will have them.

I think you could definitely shave some weight by your list - for example your various boxes - I’m guessing they’re made of wood? (since you’re saying your food box is 30 lbs) You could swap out for some heavy duty plastic totes for all your different boxes and probably save 100 lbs. Just an example and something to think about.

I was asking about how often you were going to be fully loaded and how you were going to off-load that weight while camping/off-roading, because that may influence what springs you go with.

As an example, my personal situation:

-My 2017 Tacoma is my daily commute vehicle. About a half a dozen times a year, I will fully load out my truck and come up to just under full payload capacity in order to go camping/off-roading. But when I get to the campsite, I will off-load most of that weight at base camp and then go hit the trails with a much lighter truck.

-Because this heavy weight is only about half a dozen times a year, and basically only going to and from the campsite (well actually the trip home will be slightly lighter since we will have consumed food and water, etc.), I opted to go with the Deaver Expedition U402 Stage 2 which supports up to 600 additional lbs. in the bed.

-I just have to be cognizant that when I’m close to the payload limit to drive conservatively and mind my braking distance.

Anyway, just options to consider and it may help you make a decision on which suspension to go with.

1 Like

Got it. Thank you. I believe I’m very similar to you in many respects. I fudged the numbers maybe slightly high. I can certainly pack with a more focused set of needs. I plan to be overlanding while fully loaded. I tend to hit the trails on an mtb instead of my truck. I appreciate your comments on the stage II setup. Any problems with driving unloaded? Is the unloaded rake increased?

Peace.

What do you mean by overlanding? Will you be bombing down a dirt road getting air or are you going to be driving down paved roads to a campsite, or something in between?

1 Like

Oh for sure the unloaded rake is definitely more - it sits a couple inches higher when unloaded. Because it’s my daily driver, I opted to go with King adjustables so that I could make the ride softer or firmer depending on how much was loaded in the truck. Overall it rides very smoothly.

I mean traveling roads less traveled and camping along the way. Some of these roads have ruts, or rocky sections, or whatever… I’m new to all this, but I plan to expect the unexpected along these routes. I’m certainly not rock crawling or seeking the most challenging routes. For example, I’d like to do the continental divide route from pie town to pagosa springs as my first overland trip. Plenty of unimproved unmaintained road on that route. I’d like to do the mojave road as well… No bombing, no air. Just driving, camping, biking, fishing, etc.

Maybe a few beers at the campfire…

Peace.

and ill certainly be doing a good amount of paved road driving during these adventures.

Ok. That is useful info… Thanks. As previously stated, I think I’ll heed the advice of this thread. Weigh my stock truck loaded and make decisions then. But this discussion is helpful for me. Noob.

Peace.

No worries, we all started learning at some point. I’m by no means an expert, but I did do quite a bit of research before I settled on a suspension setup. I think what @Hoarder23 is getting at, is finding out what use case you’ll be needing a suspension for. A setup that is needed for this…:

… is going to be different than a setup that is needed for this:

Right! I think small sections mild rock crawling may be part of what I’m faced with. Hence, the sliders… but I won’t be trolling for rocks to crawl. Certainly no whoops. I’m more interested in exploring.

Peace.

I know you said you wanted to stay stock height and tires - but based on what you’ve said so far, I would suggest you go with at least a medium duty setup since you’ll be loaded to max capacity sometimes. For even mild rock crawling, I would go with a little bit of lift, especially if you’re going to keep the stock tire size.

If you keep it under 2.5" you shouldn’t have any issues with geometry.

As @JKD said, an appropriate setup is important. And you might not find whoops but washboard roads will almost certainly present themselves, especially if you do the Mojave Rd. Washboards are very unkind to a heavily loaded truck on stock suspension travel even 20 mph.

If you buy taller leaf springs, you will need taller rear shocks to prevent damage. Your best bet is to talk to a shop that is experienced in setting up a truck for use similar to what you have planned. 4 wheel parts can sell you stuff that fits but likely can’t provide constructive advice. Toytec, Sierra Expedition or State 48 are more likely to be able to understand your use case and give good advice.

Information off a forum is worth what you pay for it. You will have people like me that have replaced every suspension component and people that add bumps and call it good. I’m guessing you already have most of that gear, so take a ride along a section of the NMBDR, there should be a section not too far from you, then you can explain where you felt your truck was lacking.

Thanks. Good info. I’ll try that NMBDR. Maybe Grants to Cuba.

Hopefully this virus will release its grip on all of us so the good folks at GFC can get back to doing what they do and I’ll get my camper soon.

Peace.

Landscape supply shops have scales.

also industrial recycling centers. i had to get my truck weighted when i brought it, as it had no weight listed on the title (brought in OR, registered in CA)

There’s a few CAT scales near me. I just wonder how accurate they are in the lower weight range. I can certainly use those. Does getting weighed cost anything, generally?

Peace.

They will be accurate to 5 or 10 lbs, I forget which. Cost is $11.50, comes with a picture of a cool semi.

1 Like

Sweet. Thank you.

Peace.

i go to a local sand and gravel yard to weigh. free.

or take a trrip to the dump

I’m too used to military DITY moves, always need a certified weight with receipt for those