Suspension upgrades?

Your setup is great. I’m a we kayakers and mt biker so your truck is just how I’m going to use mine. Anything you would different with the GFC and kayaking

1 Like

Thinking of getting a pair of Deaver springs on my Tacoma. Looking at the Stage II springs. Spoke with the shop in Santa Ana, great customer service and reasonably priced. Self admittedly I don’t know much about suspension, but this forum has a lot of good things to say about the product. Just curious, when getting new springs, do you also need to upgrade the front suspension as well? I’m
assuming that when the leaf package raises the truck 2” I’ll have noticeable rake, or will that level
out with the camper weight? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I am doing this to my tundra and going through the exact same process. Best of luck

1 Like

I just ordered a set as well. Going to run it with an airbag for times when its loaded up with gear. This seems to be the way to go on the Tacoma based on everything I have read and people I spoke with.

Nice! Upgrading front suspension as well? Trying to decide if it’s necessary.

Mine is a 2020 TRD Pro so the front (and back) are stock fox set up. I was told that front isn’t necessary unless I plan to get bigger tires, which I am not (for now). So the leaf and airbags are just to keep it level to compensate for the added weight in the back.

Thanks for the feedback, appreciated!

Just be sure you keep them inflated enough to prevent the bags themselves from being crushed during full compression of your suspension. No a likely occurance with no load, but when hitting dips, that can you cause full compression.

They really don’t need to come into play untill you sag. Then add enough air to level your rig. They don’t compare to the kind of plushness your leafs or coils can provide , but rather act as a bandaid. Not to be considered an equal alternative to a full time suspension upgrade. But they are good for the occasional overload.

But here’s the thing, if you beef up your leaf springs, your teeth may rattle when your not carrying enough weight. So every configuration is different based on your needs. Bottom line, I love air bags for their versitilty, just don’t run them totally empty.

1 Like

Thanks for that advice. As I mentioned earlier, I don’t know suspension at all. I was looking for something reasonably priced and functional. I ended up going with a front and rear suspension upgrade with the Bilstein 5100’s along with airbags and a 1”block.

I ended up getting Deaver U402 II. I love them. You will need to lift your truck at least 2” in the front, but mine seems more like a 4” lift :laughing:

1 Like

I got the stage 2 as well. The shop told me they will sag 2 inches so waiting for them to settle before I do anything to the front. Plus I have the stock fox coil-over TRD Pro lift on my tacoma so I think that already has 2inch lift.

hi, where did you get your Sumo Springs?

For people’s reference in the future, I’ll share my setup that I’m happy with.

2010 Tacoma
Toytec Aluma 2.0 Coilovers
Icon 2.5 Resi shocks
OME HD Leafs

This holds the camper plus a wooden bed platform in the back that I’m guessing is around 500lbs. Sits with a small amount of rake and is perfect when fully loaded for a trip. I actually adjusted the coilovers a little after this photo and took some of the rake out by lifting another 1/2".

2 Likes

Looks great! Currently looking into upgrading my suspension. Going Bilstein 6112 up front and 5160 in the rear. Debating between the regular or HD OME leafs. Hows the ride when you don’t have gear in the back? Also, are you saying your wooden bed platform is 500 pounds or the overall combined weight of the camper and platform are 500 pounds?

I’m also running the stiffest OME and I think it’s perfect.

Coming from someone who used to run OME HD leaf pack. Just Make sure y’all cut off about 1-2 inch from last leaf on the leaf pack. It’ll start eating away the hanger mount from metal to metal contact from that one leaf which is too long.

They were designed for the Hilux initially, which has a different hanger mount/bracket.

Definitely happy with the heavy duty leafs. Fully loaded for camping it’s easily 600+lbs. I drove with them from California to Montana with no camper and nothing in the bed, was surprised how well it drove.

1 Like

Slightly off topic, but I have a very similar set up as yours and about the same additional weight. Have you noticed your bike swing rattle/do you seea lot of extra play being distributed to your bikes? I have a Wilco Off road swing with an Alta racks vertical 5 bike rack and it has way too much play/movement for my liking off road. Would you recommend your swing? Thanks!

1 Like

Yes I would recommend the rakattach swing arm and one up bike rack. Both are solid products. Only downside is the swing arm hangs a little low for serious off-roading. There is very little sway.

1 Like