haha true - i am mostly in backcountry at Crystal so no prize for first chair but on days like this it’s probably nice to be surrounded by others who have shovels and are also snowed in…
Moving my DIY thread to its own place: Tent Insullation - DIY Journey Post - #6 by the_philxx
Follow along if you want to watch me waste money.
I have been waffling for a long time about attempting a diy version of this. My partner is ridiculously crafty and was willing to help me try and sew something so I took the plunge!
We worked together to put together a pattern that would work. Essentially it is a 3d blanket that my partner lovingly cut and sewed together for me. We installed velcro on the ceiling of the camper and sewed it on to the blanket. The blanket essentially just drapes down the sides and back of the tent. It feels really cozy in there!
I bought these blankets as material for this project. They are very cheap and seem quite waterproof. The waterproofing is a double edged sward. On one hand it needs to be water resistant given that it will be in contact with the tent and it will definitely have some condensation form on the inside of it. On the other you want water vapor to be able to leave the tent. I will definitely need to do a good job venting this camper given the lack of permeability, but at least it is controllable now. The insulation is relatively thin but I think it will be quite helpful in holding in the heat on cold Canadian nights.
Yes, I can close the tent with these in place.
This is far from a perfect solution but it was cheap and relatively straightforward. I will likely upgrade to whatever @WrinkledPants comes up with but I needed something this winter!
Awesome. Seems like a good set up. Velcro makes sense. Do you have any more pictures you can share? How many blankets at what size did it take?
I will take some more pictures when I put it back up and share them here.
The 82x82 made both sides and the narrower blankets made the roof and the back door.
I have a standard size camper, this would not be enough fabric for an XL.
We had very little waste which is great, but it meant that we did need to do some piecing scraps together on the sides. A 102x82 in stead of the 82x82 would require fewer seams.
Got my install almost done - with pics, check it out over here…
Here’s my simple but not so cheap version of insulating my tent for this winter. I clipped in two of my Rumpl blankets to the tent along the space between the tent snaps. It created a very nice air gap between the tent and just enough space for still allowing to manage moisture with the windows.
Rumpls ain’t cheap! Assuming you didn’t cut these down…just hanging full blankets?
Not cheap is right, but I have had them for other purposes. Yes, they are still full blankets with the rest hanging. I have no intentions of cutting them to fit, but they are proving to have many uses for me!
I have a couple we use for bedding in the camper, they are awesome!
While not insulation per se, I mentioned that one of my biggest complaints with the GFC is the drafty side doors. I took the leap and finished sewing on some 3/4" Velcro onto the bottom of one side door. No more drafting under the flap. It sure as hell ain’t pretty, but she works. And holy fk, hand sewing through the Velcro backing AND ripstop is a nightmare. Took me probably 4 hours to sew 120" of stitch for those two 30" strips. My hands and fingers are smoked. And that was only one door. I got faster as I went on, but lots of tangles, broken thread and even broke a needle. Also, use sew-on Velcro. I made the mistake of trying and succeeding with stick on Velcro I had laying around, but talk about gummy needle and thread. That was terrible. The sew on was much less of a struggle, but still rough by hand.
Jesus dude! I’d prob try to get my sewing machine up on a rolling table so it can pull itself along. Kudos - hand sewing is a pita no matter the material, but Velcro is tough for sure.
For the other two, I’m probably gonna just pull the flaps out, close the top and put the sewing machine on the roof. I was basically done when I figured that out, and the first flap used adhesive velcro. You don’t want that gum on the needle. Still would have to hand sew the bottom tent side though, but at least I’ll save ~4 hours on those two other flaps.
Use adhesive Velcro or acrylic basting tape on sew on Velcro… you can sew through it but stick your needle in some ivory soap first. Alternative, tape in center and sew on edges avoiding it.
I’ll have to grab some basting tape. That’s a great idea. Trying to hold up a 30" long strip of velcro and sew it onto the side of the tent was…a challenge.
my hands are numb from just thinking about sewing that. probably just need a couple smaller strips not the whole length to hold it closed
I had a very bad time with side draft on my last trip. Propex was pumping out a nice 70 degrees downstairs but it was 28 degrees upstairs, with one square removed and a fan blowing upwards.
I’m going through this trouble, I didn’t wanna do spots and regret not doing the whole strip.
Also worth noting, that Velcro helped to keep the flap tucked out of the way when I was closing the roof. I usually undo the zippers about 6-8" so the flap usually wants to creep out, and I end up flipping/tucking it while closing up. Just a lil positive side effect.
Here’s an update on our tent insulation project:
Do you have any venting flaps or something so that venting is still a thing. My trip to Colorado got canceled so I couldn’t come check it out but I do know that having a vent in the upper corners would be really helpful to keep the moisture down still…