Tent is not fully waterproof?

Did that mitigate your intrusion? Did you put it along the front ledge (cab) as well? Honestly, I think I mentioned this before, but when I spoke to Calder last week. He indicated it would be impossible to meet every customers expectations and the unit is not meant to be ‘water proof’. They expect the customer to come up with solutions to suit their applications.

Once that was explained to me, the light bulb went on. I could just imagine the ‘rants’ and complaints about ‘HOW’ GFC messed up these seals or they should’ve used this, that or the other thing.

That being said, there definitely is room for improvement on a V3 camper. As for seam sealing, I’ve seen the same thing with high end shelters. I was shocked when I got a Black Diamond MegaLite that it wasn’t seam sealed! It’s a $400 tarp for crying out loud, and one that’s meant to be used in extreme alpine conditions…but alas…there’s tens of thousands of them out there. LOL

4 Likes

Me too and I have corners leaking. I can’t figure it out. Upper corners. I’ve had my V2 for about a month.

2 Likes

Tents used to be sold without sealed seams, but in recent years more and more high end backpacking tents come with taped and heat sealed seams. With the price of RTT’s generally ranging from ridiculous to ludicrous, there really shouldn’t be any RTT’s that come without taped seams. I love GFC products and love our Superlite, but I’m shocked to find out they even sell a product that’s not fully sealed out of the factory.

8 Likes

what he said.

3 Likes

Just to help navigate the law of unintended consequences for those looking to place a bulb seal along the extrusion to fill the gap there. I would make sure to adhere the bulb seal to the top extrusion. If you adhere it to the bottom, when the tent is open, it will act as a dam for any water coming off the side of the tent and force the water through the side of the tent.

12 Likes

Dang man, judging by your other posts either you’ve had some tough luck, or these things still need a lot of work after install in order to tolerate basic rainy and cold weather. As someone who lives in a wet place and is awaiting install, I’m concerned it’s the latter.

It’s a little bit of column A and a little bit of column B. I live in the Seattle area and outside of one incident my camper has stayed dry. I suspect some campers are missing some silicone and you will have to take some precautions (opening the tent periodically when its sunny out) but the juice is worth the squeeze.

2 Likes

That’s good to hear. I’m wondering if there’s a quick way to test / discover any missing silicone during install and then ask for (edit: on-the-spot) remediation. E.g. politely spray it with a hose before driving off…?

1 Like

I’d just pull over a few minutes down the road and test it. I’d also make sure that you are not spraying water laterally into the side of the camper. Just test water on the roof and maybe spray water from the front.

My only issue is a broken lock (they shipped me a new one) and the water intrusion and I’m sure it’s an easy fix after I find out where it’s coming from. I love this thing.

1 Like

Took the words right out of my mouth as I was wondering the same thing.

Where is the GFC posts your are talking about. Thanks

Curious as to the people that are having
problems with water coming into the camper. Do you have a V1 or a V2?

Search for WileyDavis and his post history, he commented on this thread and a few others offering some info

1 Like

In an effort to consolidate this information into a single topic, this thread will close Monday and all future information on this issue will be found on the Weatherizing Update thread.

Cheers,
GFC Team