V1 Water Intrusion

Got my camper in Nov of 2019. I’ve had massive leak in mine in the front half since day 1. Large pools of standing water under the cushions on the fixed plaltform. Half of the cushion on that fixed part are regularly completely soaked through (not beaded up etc). When I drive after its rained there is a ton of water that comes forward out the front part of the exterior side extrusion channels. When I get in the truck and its level, my weight willl often cause water to rush to the front and pour out. Not just a few drops, like a rush that can soak my shirt. Pretty strange.

Have had a bit of correspondence with warranty dept. that didnt really go anywhere, just put on the repair tour list. On the northeast coast though so unlikely any movement anytime soon. Camper has basically been unusable in or adjacent to any type of incliment weather so I’ve rarely used it to camp in (read: northeast). Pretty serious bummer. Would be tempted to sell it at this point but not a lot of folks are going to want to buy a leaking camper.

My brother bought one from the same run though FTR and his has been fine.

What was your build number were you?

That is unfortunate man.

One thing that may be worth checking is if the seals where the extrusion meets at the front is solid (there should be some sealant at the corners where the extrusion meets). May be able to test this with the tent open an have someone spray the front with a hose and see if you can find where the water is coming in. The fix may be as simple as reinforcing the seal. If this isn’t the case, you may want to expect each extrusion to make sure there isn’t a breach to the inner chamber caused by drilling or whatnot.

Not seeing it that’s unfortunately the best advice I can offer and the only way I could see water getting in the front corners.

1 Like

@crazyfingers I think around ~389 ?

@Tacodilesupreme thanks! I’ll have a look - I believe I checked that per their initial recommendation but will look again when I’m back near the truck. The weird part is the sheer volume of water that comes in.

1 Like

Gotcha, may be worth checking to see if any part of the front section of the tent has somehow moved to inside the extrusion somehow. That may let water in.

Any chance there is a hole somewhere in the honeycomb up top?

Good luck chasing this down! Crazy how much water you have getting in. You’re the first person I’ve heard having this severe of an issue. Maybe share a video too if you get a chance to help us troubleshoot with you more effectively!

3 Likes

You may have already tried using a small bright light in the dark, if not I’ve found it very helpful trouble shooting water leaks. Water will find the path of least resistance. Have someone else slowly moving the light on the opposite side in the area you’re having the issue may help. Good luck.

4 Likes

just to follow up here, despite the very old thread - turns out i had no drain holes in the front of the upper half (tent top part) extrustion. GFC fixed my old hinges and while there drilled a hole where it should be and LOTS of water came pouring out (and it hadnt rained for weeks).

i’ll post a picture at some point so folks can see where it was. i was misunderstanding where / which drain holes they were referring to in my back and forth with them.

also, GFC team was super cool with the repairs. real solid customer service, very grateful. all good now!

2 Likes

Glad to hear your issue got resolved! That’s been my experience as well, super cool to work with

Mind sharing where the drain holes should be?

i wont be near the truck for a while but ill try to remember to snap a pic when i am.

in the meantime, does anyone else here has a pic of a V1 with the drain holes drilled as are supposed to exist from the factory?

that would be a good sticky thread maybe.

hole in front upper half - you can see where the drill wandered a bit. This is on both sides.

In an effort to consolidate this information into a single topic, this thread will close Monday and all future information on this issue will be found on the Weatherizing Update thread.

Cheers,
GFC Team

1 Like