What do you unexpectedly dislike about your topper?

Did you ever do a solution for the roof fan? Curious if you ordered a Baroud and installed. I emailed him asking if the solution would work on the GFC roof and got gibberish in the form of a question back so unsure of that company now.

I did not and ended up selling my GFC.

1 Like

Hi Dignon! We just installed a diesel heater and we definitely think it does great things for drying things out in there, however, we still get a few icicles where the condensation drips down to the wedge. Have you ever tried adding felt pads to the roof to absorb some of the excess moisture? You seem to be the most knowledgeable person on this site! I’ve looked through threads, but figured I’d just go to the source :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

That’s very kind of you to say. :blush: what I do is have a tea towel and I just give it a quick wipe in the morning. If it’s frozen at the front of the wedge I don’t worry too much about it. When I get back from my adventure I find a place to pull the truck in and open it up to let it all dry if I can.

Make sure you keep the front wedge windows open a bit. I find that helps vent the moisture as well. Are you using a cheap fan? I also have that set up hanging from a clothes line in the top of the wedge.

Cheers,
Wes

1 Like

Now that I’ve had my GFC for a full year with many nights of use, my biggest gripe is the locks. If you’ve read through this whole thread this is nothing new. They’ve been an inconvenience since day 1, but this winter they’ve been practically useless. I live in a place with high crime and this is a deal breaker for me if I knew how bad they would perform. I use them every day and sometimes it takes me 10min or more to open my rear door. I’ve even use lock lubricant/anti-freeze product to no avail. The locks need to be reliable 365 days of the year no matter the conditions. @GFC you need to do something about this, please.

9 Likes

I’m sure there’s several folks who would agree with you! I just spent a little over $400 plus whatever my install time will be on new latches to remedy that. Would be rad if it wasn’t an issue in the first place.

2 Likes

What did you end up replacing them with? I’m hesitant to do it myself but also desperate to switch out these shit locks.

2 Likes

Southco c5 latches. Check out this thread for all the info.

1 Like

We picked up our new V2 for our Ford F150 from Bozeman last Thursday and just returned home to Arizona. We are super stoked about it but 2 things stood out as disappointments:

1. The locking mechanisms. They are super fiddly and feel very cheap. The entire system is rock solid, to include the crossbar mounts we got for the top. But the key entry is the weak point? Has anyone replaced these or done anything with them to make them more solid and easier to use?
  2. The GFC decals started peeling off within the day of picking it up. Super disappointed and surprised. It looks bad, but I would also think GFC would want their brand to stick to their product. Several letters are now missing or curling up.
1 Like

Someone with key tech will chimn in. I lubed all my locks the day i recieved it and have had good luck with the locks, you are right though, they seem less than.

I was pretty upset about my stickers peeling off too. However, it just means more folks are like WTF is that… I’ve learned to really enjoy talking to folks about it.

I know there are a few folks out there that have made custom stickers that say GFC.

This page/ forum is great to find folks making parts for them.

Enjoy your GFC!

1 Like

First thing I did after leaving GFC was to pull off all the stickers. I was very pleased that they were so easy to remove. I don’t have any problem with mfrs clearly identifying themselves on their products, but I hated those stickers. Would much prefer a small name plate or similar. I do really like the engraved hinge cover plate that has GFC, unit # and place of mfr. That is classy looking and is easy to see by anyone looking at the camper (obv not when going down the road though).

Keep in mind that I also immediately removed the TRD Off Road stickers from the bed when I bought my Tundra. I paid extra for the upgrades to the truck, not the sticker telling everyone about them. If it had been small 3-D lettering like comes on 4Runners, I’d have happily left it alone.

3 Likes

See my posts about the mattress. Replacing their foam and adding memory foam on top left me with a bed as good as my one at home. But replacing their foam is key… anything added on top of stock is sub par. Trust me… I tried em all.