Whats the Right Suspension for Me

Right on @ColoradoNick, good to know you’re in the hood as well. Give or take right around $3500, installed. They do a great comprehensive check of the vehicle before diving into the suspension upgrade, for various reasons. I worked with Kevin (advisor) and Austin (tech) at John’s and they hadn’t heard of the GFC campers yet. If you do decide to proceed with them, they have a killer live “portal” that gives you real time access to the tech’s progress and notes. They’ve followed up twice since the service and want to see the truck back when I get 500 miles on the new set up, to re-check torque specs.

Very happy, when we finally get these campers… we should plan some kind of meet up, to geek out?

Be well, travel safe.

AD

Hey @MechEMike,

Thanks for this note, I did a bit of looking on youtube in regards to this and also followed up with my service tech, whom did the upgrade. I was told this is very rare with lifts under 3", for Taco’s to “need” this swap/upgrade.

Sorry you had this happen to you, I’ve been warned.

Be well, travel safe.

AD

So can anyone confirm if this is a must on a third GEN or is it only on Second GEN’s? Thanks ahead of time!

There’s a thread on TW that says a lot of guys with 3rd gen has had it fail.

2 Likes

@Camper1088 Maybe I drive my truck too hard :wink: I got my lift kit from Sierra Expeditions and from what I understand, they now sell the kits with the bushing. My Toyota dealer also installs them when they do a lift. I don’t know about 3rd gen, but if the diff is the same, I don’t know why it would be any different.

@MechEMike I’m sure you always drive your truck “appropriately” for terrain :wink: Question for you, do you have a steel front bumper and or winch? Wondering if front end weight is a contributing factor… totally guessing but curious nonetheless.

Cheers,

Nope. Nothing up front and really nothing in the back except the GFC. I don’t think it is a weight issue at all. That is dealt with by your suspension. It is the heal-toe of the axle in the sloppy needle bearing. The little picture I made explains the problem faster than my words can. You end up with uneven wear in the needle bearing. The bushing replacement is a much tighter fit and doesn’t allow the bad angle of the axle as shown.

1 Like

Dude, thanks for taking the time to illustrate the problem. Dropping truck off tomorrow for other standard maintenance, I’ll ask when the next best time to do this mod is… looks like drive side wheel, brake and coil have to be removed to get at it.

If anyone is thinking of doing this themselves I have done this on a friends truck and it was easy with the removal tool ECGS sells with the bushing. If you can pull a CV you can definitely replace the bearing.

3 Likes

Just swapped out the needle bearing with the ecgs replacement this morning and truck doesn’t have vibrations anymore. Feels like a new truck.

4 Likes

Two main notes I hope my experience can help a person or two.

1. the need to replace the needle bearing
  2. the (potential) impact of GFC in weight ->sag

I upgraded my 2014 Taco DCLB suspension over 2 yrs ago, before the idea of even adding a wedge camper was on my mind. Only real upgrades of a LEER topper and a SSO slimline bumper/Smittybilt X20.

I went with Bilstein 5100 all around, wheelers progressive AAL, and OME 2885s (very basic/bottom of the barrel). Measuring before and after and I got a 2" lift in the front, 1.625" in the rear (again pre GFC). I immediately felt the vibration from the needle bearing at a 2" lift. While i missed that issue in my original research, it was easy to find info on it and confirm my issue. I quickly replace with the ECG Supply bushing. Solved.

Fast forward to now, after running with my GFC installed for 4+ months and 2 years after suspension upgrade, the front has settled down about .5" and the rear about 1.25"!

That was more then expected, as I went from a 230lb fiber glass topper to the 300lb-ish GFC. There are other variables at play. I have added a RCI IFS skid, and a Rhino Rack 270 awning. Plus other minor impacts could come from settling with time/tire ware/etc. (truck is sitting at 68K miles, all measurements taken with the same summer wheels/tires set that take about 4K miles annually and nothing in the truck bed)

…I am looking at redoing my suspension again, mostly at the rear leafs like many others on here…

1 Like

@MTSoul you might consider deaver stage II - having gone down the route of others i have been more than impressed by my deavers (stage III)

Thanks @d.shaw. That is exactly were I am leaning. Stage IIIs are intriguing, but I think I still have high aspirations to keep things relatively light. This is probably the best time of the year to be looking…:crossed_fingers: on a good BF deal (watching TW).

Hi. I have bilstein 5100s on front and OME medium leafs in the rear mated with OME shocks. I got a 1.25" lift overall with some slight rake. I like to keep things simple and light too. I know where you are on this…

I’ve been happy with this setup. Rides good when loaded, rides like stock when dry.

Peace.

Glad to hear another successful setup moving to medium leafs with a GFC. Also, @GFC706, I have to say I really appreciate all your DYI ideas on your build . you have some awesome ‘simple’ ideas!

Anyone else have experience with the Dobinson leaf packs? with only a little research, it seems like they are respectable, and may offer a good value proposition comparing to the Deavers (and similar in $ to OMEs)

I have a Tundra CM with a GFC Camper installed. With fridge, camping gear and Decked I had to go to Icon’s Option #3. I had option #2 before the GFC install, and looked like one of these “bro’d out sagging trucks” and hit bump stops going over speed bumps. It’s now back how is should be.

@MTSoul, I have 2013 dclb. I got deaver stage II about 6 months ago. It’s been a huge improvement over a simple AAL. It handles great with bed empty and loaded.

1 Like

Hey @Kwood! I did see your pictures and post on the other suspension thread on here, you provided great detail that seems to apply to me very well. what’s your opinion on the Timbren bump stops? are they essential to add, compared to stock version?

Not sure if they are essential but I would highly recommend. When I have had the truck somewhat overloaded I have had the frame barely touching the bump stops. They make the ride plush. Really good for off-road as well.

3 Likes

:+1: I appreciate your insight!

1 Like