Getting Financing for a GFC

Howdy all. Currently have a build slated for Novemeber (2200ish and havent had an update in a while, so unsure of actual time frame). My preference would be to not pay cash. Has anyone used a bank/institution to finance their camper? Or does anyone know of any places that will finance a GFC? I’ve done some initial searching but was wondering if anyone had suggestions. Thanks!

I personally would pay cash. You could however get a personal loan through a credit union but will pay higher interest. These do not have vins or manufacturer certificates of origins so probably tough to get a typical rv loan.

3 Likes

Yeah I’m not sure about traditional financing. But one potential option would be getting a new credit card that has a zero interest introductory period.

I did that before moving cross country once before having work lined up.

Maybe check nerdwallet.com, I’m seeing offers for no interest the first 18 months.

1 Like

Cash is king. Pay cash. Get a side job or put in some extra work somewhere. Last thing you want is unnecessary debt. Even if you have to swap spots with someone for a later date. Campers are rad but not worth it if you have to cripple yourself financially.

9 Likes

i hate using credit cards but for any purchase above 100$ it goes on a card.you have to be able to pay it off when the bill comes in though. some cards give you points or cash back but the biggest benefit is the extra protection if something goes wrong.using a card adds to the paper trail and documentation process too. ive had to dispute a few items over the years and the banks always helped me out. for me cash works only if they gave a steep discount and i wanted to roll the dice without the added protection then maybe… best of luck with what you decide!

4 Likes

Use your credit card that gives you air miles, then pay off that credit card when the statement comes.

4 Likes

It would be pretty awesome if GFC allowed PayPal Credit. I asked — they don’t. If you get approved it’s 6-months at 0%, after that it turns to something silly like 23% so avoid that at all costs. Seems like a win-win for GFC, they get immediate payment from PayPal and then if the purchaser goes past the 6-month mark, charges are incurred.

I’ve seen the argument on the forum of “well if you can’t afford an $8000 tent, you shouldn’t have one”. For folks that can afford but also have other financing commitments, spreading out payment is ideal. I also wanted to pay cash at pickup, but GFC wouldn’t let me.

I really enjoy PP Credit as I can purchase what I want without losing an immediate amount of cash from the strategic reserve (i.e. savings). Since it’s inception I think I’ve used the PP Credit to the tune of $40,000 without a late payment and never being concerned about having a lil extra cash in case of emergency.

My 2c

My father taught me if you dont have the money in your pocket now, dont spend it.
That being said I have a truck loan, own my house outright. Outside thouse two things though, never take a loan. Maybe a business loan…

Now I know some folks can make payments and work that angle, if something pops up though… or you want to go do something and need extra $$ you’re outta luck. The monthly payment is over $350…

We’re talking 6 months… just save up for 6 months then pay cash (sorry GFC).
This is totally just my thought/ opinion (opinions are like assholes, everyone has at least one) and mines is on order…my GFC topper I mean.
I spent all my saved up dollars… lol.

But if you need financing and you know you can make the payments… do it. Whatever it takes to get yourself outside and enjoying life…

2 Likes

You can use Affirm and get a virtual card, then pay with that. That’s what I did and then just paid it off in two big chunks (I hate dropping lots of money at once).

1 Like

I totally understand your preference to finance your camper build. You might want to check with local banks or credit unions for financing options. Also, it’s worth asking the manufacturer if they have any recommendations or partnerships with financing institutions.