Matt Gecko LED for V2

Thanks for the explanation. I have some random Amazon RGB waterproof led strips and it was a PITA to install for me also. And I am pretty good with electrical. Basically had to customize 2 strips into 1 plug and figure out where I wanted the control box and switch at. This is for the lower camper section. I have to really think if I want to go through the hassle of adding lights in the upper sleeping area.

1 Like

I did a set of Nilite LED strips off Amazon downstairs and have been mostly happy with them. I don’t have anything upstairs as to me it looks like they would just shine directly in your face.

For those that have lights upstairs do you use them when you are up there? Or are they there to light up the whole camper when the bed panels are removed?

I’ve been using my upstairs lights a fair bit, usually for reading before bed.

I installed Hard Korr light strips both upstairs and downstairs. They are white/orange and dimmable with diffusers on them. So far, we’ve really enjoyed them, especially while hanging out in the tent during storms over the weekend. Don’t find that the lights shine directly in our faces (thanks to the diffusers I’m sure). Install was fairly easy, but I did need to shorten all of the wiring connecting the lights just to make it cleaner.

3 Likes

I just used a dremel to make the notch between the panels a hair bigger & wrapped the wires in protective sleeve. They are holding up quite nicely.

The V2 install was easier. We did not use all of the provided electrical wire & did not drill any new holes.

The kit is quite nice!

I only did the lower, and added a Dimmer, highly recommend a Dimmer, the LEDs are really bright when you have been in the dark for a while looking at stars.

2 Likes

We tried to wire up the dimmer but had issues… will have to revisit. On a side note, what are your lights pulling from your battery? I thought they had a really low power consumption initially. I just spent the day rewiring my camper and now the lights are pulling 2 amps, per my shunt… seems really high. I thought I’d seek confirmation before pulling the whole thing apart. :slight_smile:

Well 2amps isnt much, say you have 14volts, and 2 amps, thats only 28watts
Volts x amps = watts.

On the matt gecko kit, the on/off switch is on the ground/negative side.

The dimmer i have got installed on the hot/positive side.
Dimmer has 3 wires.

Ground/negative
Positive/hot IN
Positive/hot out.

Ground/negative goes to Ground or you can tap into the ground wire going to the on/off switch.

The positive/hot from the battery/fuse goes to the positive IN on the dimmer and the positive Out on the dimmer goes to the lights.

If you have a 2 wire dimmer. It will just be positive IN and positive OUT.

Make sure you verify what wires are what on the dimmer, you DONT want to connect positive to negative on accident.

1 Like

Thank you. I did confirm the current draw is accurate and appropriate. The shunt really shows you a ton of useful information!

Go Fast Camper Lighting (Upper & Lower) Matt Gecko LED Kit Install

3 Likes

Nice video - I much prefer the lights in the channels to not blind me. I just chose to leave my switch up by the fixed panel though. Then I also added usb chargers on both sides.

4 Likes

Those switches and chargers are slick. Did you make that or buy it?

Bought the switch’s from OTRATTW switch guys and the chargers are just dual USB blue sea chargers. Both use the same rectangular hole. Then had my coworker build me the half moon shaped mounts to mount them in.

2 Likes

Clean install! Any chance you can explain how you installed your dimmer? I’d like to add one to mine as well. Thanks in advance!