Tent fabric upgrade

I understand GFC has gone/going with a more traditional tent material. Can you give me an idea of cost?

1 Like

Hi louie,

We switched to a 600D PU coated material from a PVC fabric a few months back. This new fabric is both easier to close in cold weather as well as more environmentally sustainable, which is pretty cool.

If you do want to upgrade, you can shoot us an email at support@gfcengineering.com and we can talk specifics about what that might look like. That said, we are hoping to reach an efficiency (likely late this fall or early winter) where we will be able to offer the new material for an even better price point than our current option for existing customers.

Let me know if that makes sense!

-g

3 Likes

I’ve had issues with my 2nd Gen fabric from day one. Picked up end of April. First thing I noticed was a permanent stain almost like an oil spot at the front corner on the drivers side. Anytime it rains the cushion in that spot gets wet. This past weekend I drive through a rainstorm and the front edge of the front cushion was wet. Mike said they are making me a new tent. Will I get a repeat of the 2nd gen or the new one. How long will I have to wait? It’s been 3 months.

You will get a brand new one with all current updates. I believe they are finishing sewing your specific unit right now according to a meeting I was in yesterday.

I am not sure what is causing this stain. There could have been a manufacturing defect in the PU coating on the fabric that is causing that section to lose waterproofing, as we have never seen this anywhere else or heard of it happening apart from your specific camper. We have since added a thorough visual inspection to both our checklist at the time of manufacturing and the final QC check for fabric defects like you have described and documented in photos.

We have been heavily investing in ramping up production of the new tent fabric, and it has been our current production bottleneck due to the added complexity of manufacturing the new design. That said we are getting caught back up here. This caused fabric delays across the board on our end, and your 3 month wait time.

-g

3 Likes

So is the 2nd gen tent material being replaced by a 3rd gen tent material that we’ve heard rumors of? Or is the 2nd gen tent matierial going to be around for a while?

3 Likes

@JLink I’m in process of a warranty replacement. I’m waiting on 3rd gen which is rumored to be rip-stop fabric start of production end of this year is what I’ve been told.

1 Like

Where were these rumors of a third gen fabric circulating?

1 Like

Tacomaworld of course. Information passed on from someone that had just picked up their camper.

1 Like

I’m still waiting for my camper should be ready soon. I have seen the first gen fabric and really liked it. Hope 2nd gen is just as good. By this time next year there will probably be a 4th Gen fabric.

2 Likes

That’s why I still have my first tent, for the heavy winter trips!

1 Like

I think the non-porous, non-breathable fabric in the first gen is an advantage. It will certainly retain more heat in the winter.

The biggest advantage I see is that it won’t mildew, and when you live in Cascadia, moisture proof is a necessity.

To me the first gen fabric is ideal and I hope it continues to be an option.

3 Likes

I’ve had both and the 1st gen is more durable but condensation is more of a problem than with the 2nd gen. I don’t think that mildew will be a problem for the second gen. First gen will be warmer in the winter. 2nd gen. blows around more in the wind. Second gen. zippers are just glued on; no stitching. I don’t remember if the first gen zippers have stitching in addition to glue. So far second gen has held up well to the rain.
I should have kept my 1st gen as a backup and alternative to the 2nd gen.

1 Like

@GFC will there be an option to order the first gen fabric for those with the updated fabric?

2 Likes

We actually haven’t had much in the way of requests for early (vinyl) tents from new customers. If you shoot support an email they can let you know if that is possible.

How much warmer? Do you think it’s really that noticeable? We talkin 10 degrees warmer or 2?

I don’t know how much warmer. It’s just an impression but actually it’s probably negligible given that the R value for a single layer of fabric no matter what the material is quite low.

3 Likes

I know GFC is just trying to keep their heads above water at this point and accessories just getting going, but a second layer of cloth that slides into the t-track frame would make a nice air gap. It would do a lot for the cold weather. Could come off when putting the tent away.

4 Likes

Take some photos and be sure to post when you do!

1 Like

Can you tell me where the fabric is manufactured? I’m just curious because someone was giving me a hard time when I said tHe GoFastCamper was made in the USA.

I’m not sure where they purchase the actual fabric from but they make the tent right there in Belgrade at their facility. Back in 2019 when I picked up my camper I took this picture of them doing their thing. Pretty sure this is outdated as they have expanded their operation significantly.
They were outsourcing for the super light but they stopped doing that and making the Superlight altogether.

2 Likes