06 Ram 2500

Well this is my first post, we purchased our GFC used in july of 2023 and installed it on our 2007 Quad Cab Ram with the 6ā€™4" bed. The camper was originally installed on a 2020 Ram power Wagon. Our 2007 Ram had lots of character in the form hail damage and other dents and treated us well, but decided to upgrade to something nicer and I also wanted diesel power because of the driveability that a diesel offers and also the increased fuel millage. So we upgraded to a clean 2006 Quad Cab Ram 2500 with 5.9 Common Rail Cummins Diesel. This truck also has the same cab and bed as our 07 Ram so we could move our camper right over. So far we have spent about 14 nights in our GFC and as far as Sedona AZ and back while on the 07 truck.

This photo was taken on our Thanksgiving trip last year in Sedona. really the only mods the truck had was an Orileys cargo net to hold our sleeping gear and 3/4 inch partical board with bike mounts to carry our mountian bikes inside the camper so they are clean and secure

And here is our new rig with the GFC installed, we put 2 2x4ā€™s underneath the camper to lift it off the old truck and install on the new to us truck. The new truck is really clean and has a stock 5.9 Diesel that has no mods or chips. The truck has 1.5 spacer lift in the front,and the steering has been upgraded to the larger steering box from Mopar and 08+ T style steering which are nice upgrades done by the previous owner. it sits on 35 inch BFG AT tires.

7 Likes

The Truck had 151k and the injectors were showing some minor wear of over fueling and for some preventive maintenance I decided to replace the injectors so I dont end up melting a piston in the future. I figure the next set should last another 150K. heres a couple of pictures didnt get many from the install but it took about 8 hours total to replace the injectors including adjusted the valve lash before putting the valve cover back on.

The following weekend we took a quick trip to Frutia, CO and Moab, UT for some mountain Biking. we camped at the 18 road camping area the first night , we did not do any mountain biking in Fruita and decided to go to Moab for the day and ride the slick-rock trail as there was less moisture foretasted in Moab. we then camped two nights in Sand Flats Recreation area. Here a just a couple of pictures of the turck setup at camp. It was very windy at night while camping in Moab, we had to setup our kitchen next to the truck to try to stay out off the wind.

we also spotted this two door JK in our campground which had tons of Aluminum extrusions on it to mount stuff and also a wind turbine mounted on it for charging the electronics while parked. I am guessing they were also sleeping in it as we did not see a tent.

2 Likes

Really love the simplicity and straightforwardness of your approach!

It looks like you have some kind of wind shield for your butane stove in the first pic/post, what is that? Iā€™m always battling the wind with mine.

1 Like

Vice, Its a Coleman white gas stove and yes it does work well in the wind because of the wind screen. My experience with the little butane stoves is the canisters like to freeze at higher altitudes and cooler temps. we had to buy one recently on a trip to Sedona AZ this past winter because we forgot the white gas stove.
We took a recent trip down to Texas for the eclipse . The first night we stop and camped at the Rita Blanca Grasslands which had a nice little campground with bath rooms and tables. there were even a few others camped for the night also.

The we headed further south to the Texas Hill Country for the eclipse and to hang out with family. We swam in the Frio River and went to one of the largest bat caves in the world. we got a few brief glimpses of the eclipse because it was cloudy. Bellow is a photo from the bat cave of a raptor trying to eat a bat. my brother took this photo.
20240407-IMG_8262