1,800 miles from home and this happens!

For what it is worth they are usually really quick about email responses. Hope it gets resolved quickly for you.

1 Like

You could refer them to their own forum and this thread. (Or the one with 700+ replies.)

Sorry, just trying to offer some comic relief.

2 Likes

I called back again and was a little more insistent on talking with someone after I was told someone would get back to me in a couple of hours. Eli called me back within a few minutes, great guy and very helpful. He said to go ahead and make the repairs with some ACE Hardware metal hinges and no to be concerned with the warranty. He also is going to get me lined up with permanent warranty repair. GFC is also overnighting me T Nuts to mount the hinges on. I’ll let you know how the bandaid fix goes. Thanks for all the advice and offers for help!

7 Likes

As promised the hardware showed from GFC (Eli) overnight. Picked some 4" door hinges, 1/4" bolts, flat washers, lock washers, nuts, and a 1/4" drill bit from Ace Hardware. Took about p1.5 hours and I have rear panel once again. Don’t try and install the struts with these hinges. I’m pretty sure you will put a permanent bend in the panel when you close it. There is a alot of torgue put on the ends of the doors when you close them. After seeing it first hand I’m convinced that is the cause of the hinge failures.

6 Likes

Nice work getting this fixed and saving your trip!

Not to be a pessimist, but I wonder if it is worth keeping a couple sets of these supplies on hand? (Actually, @GFC_Taylor , perhaps this is something you should send folks who are waiting for the upgraded hinges?)

Were you able to rent the drill?

Glad you are able to secure the cargo again.

Went through my DECK system drawers and found an old cordless drill I had left in them. The battery was actually charged, hahhaaa. I bought two extra hinges, drill bits, nuts, bolts, washers, etc… just in case a side panel decides to give out before we head home. Call me a wimp but I locked the side panels and will not use them until they are replaced. I recommend doing so for anyone that doesn’t have the newest hinges for when their’s give out. It’s not a matter of if but when it happens. The equivalent of a spare tire. Trust me when this happens it will be the most inconvenient time. The repair is pretty simple. Also picked up to 48"x5/8’’ dowels for props to keep the rear panel open so I can access the bed. The panel is heavy then you think when the struts are not hooked up.

2 Likes

Thanks, It was a group effort between the recomendations on this forum, ACE Hard Ware, and Eli at GFC sending me what I needed overnight.

1 Like

I have a question, I have the same hinge style, rivet less but old style. I was curious did you just use a 4” door hinge?

Thanks,

I did use a 4" hinge from ace hardware.

1 Like

My passenger side panel exploded yesterday. Waiting to hear back from GFC but the PIT recently passed my house and I won’t be able to go to Montana anytime soon. Do you think the two 4” hinges were sufficient? Maybe do 3 on side panel, with one right in middle? I’m assuming water was getting into the bed with the temporary fix right? I have to move a ton of shit out of the bed if so.

I just used two on the back panel. I would think you would want 3 on a side panel given the length. GFC provided some “bandaids” that bolt into the track just above the panel to hold the panel in place. I had those on one of the side panels until i got all of mine replaced by the PIT.

1 Like

I think I read that you should take off the struts right bc the torque is too much for the temporary fix

You can still use the panel with the struts as long as you install the hinges directly above the struts. I did 3 hinges with the 2 outside hinges directly above the struts and it worked out. It had a little flex but not too bad.

1 Like

If you’re worried about water intrusion, I also ended up doing a continuous piano hinge with a rubber seal above it. It worked great for the 3 months I had it on there until I got the new embassy hinges. The rubber started to crack a little over time but it kept all water out and the hinges were rock solid.

1 Like

i also kept the struts in place. @mattyd is right, there is a significant amount of force directly above those struts. That is where both of my hinges started failing, directly above the struts. The hinge material started to get more a pronounced white creased color as though the strut was stretching the material (very slightly) at the strut, ultimately ending in a tear.

Awesome thanks guys.