2000 F250 GFC build

The truck is a 2000 F250 4x4 7.3L diesel with the manual transmission The suspension was upgraded to Old Man Emu shocks and leaf springs. It currently rides on a set of 315/75R16 Cooper STT Pros

As far as the truck bed area, I built a box with two drawers, and a hinged storage area over in the bed. The drawers go to the middle of the wheel wells and there is a piano hinge at the back of the cab that allows access to the back half of the storage area. There are also some removable panels that allow access to the empty space in front and behind each wheel well.

I still have to finish the drawer fronts to attach handles to allow for easier use but they are functional and have been used several times already. I also will be adding a bed rug mat to cover the top after cutting it to match the covers to allow access to storage while adding some slight cushioning.

The second modification was adding some panel fencing to the sides of the GFC for my dogs.

My wife and I have found that there are several national parks and other sites that do not allow dogs on the trails even on leashes. By adding the panels in and then leaving the sides open it makes the bed into a kennel that is significantly cooler than a truck cab.

The panels are attached at the top of the frame with some rubber lined hose clamps allowing the panels to be moved in and access to the bed through the sides. The bottom of the panels are secured to some D-rings with some clips that keep the panels from clanging while driving and keep the dogs secure when parked.

Another slight modification was to the rear panel latch. Unnoticed after some very bumpy trails, pastures, and some of the county roads, that one side or the other of the rear panel would come unlatched. The lock itself would still be closed but the interior latch would slide off the top of the metal attached to the frame.

To fix the situation I took two 5/16 nuts, one for each side, drilled out the threads and unscrewed the bolts at the end of the latch. I welded the nuts to the top of the bolts and reinserted the bolt into the latch. The larger nut catches on the frame and does not slide off. Problem fixed for less than a dollar.

Still left to do:

Fresh water: I’m thinking a tank and pump in the back section of the storage box

Coldness/power:

Right now we have a Canyon cooler that works great but does need ice after a few days. At some point will probably move to a fridge/freezer. At that point will need to figure out a power solution.

I’m welcome to any thoughts or suggestions thanks for reading,
AJ

14 Likes

So made some changes so figure I’d update this. First major change pulled the GFC off and put it on a 2002 F350 7.3 Crew Cab. Pretty much same suspension and set up I did on the F250 just crew cab.

I then added lights both on roof rack and in the GFC, 100w solar panel, a DC-DC charger, and a fuse panel.

After that I tore out the old drawer system since I was never fully happy with it and went with some over the wheel well storage. I still use the cattle panel to use the truck as a kennel when in places I can’t take the dogs on the trails.

I like these a lot better and flush latches work well for me. I then wired some usb plugs and 12 volt outlets into them to charge phones and run a fridge. I use an old army field desk as a chuck box. A little heavy but works great and includes a table. Makes it easy to grab it and go when I get time off of work or use it in my wife’s jeep if we take it instead.

It also leaves plenty of room for my dogs behind the fridge and chuck box. And a path through when it’s sideways for them or us. Enjoy.

6 Likes

is the new truck stick shift as well?

Andrew,
You have skills beyond us mere mortals! Your rig is a great platform, and the combination of a 7.3L and stick shift cannot be beaten! Keep up the good work!
Very impressive indeed!
Cheers

Thanks for the compliments. I enjoy challenging myself and don’t think I’ll ever be complete on this or any build. I agree it is a good combination of engine and stick shift. There are pros and cons but it currently works great for me.

What roof rack is that? Looking for one to fit my '17 F350 with GFC

It’s a KC Hilights M Rack. The one on the truck is for an extended cab that I fit to the crew cab. It fits well without interference from the GFC overhang. Had to trim the rear corners on each side of the rack. The corners had a slight curve to match the contour of the rear of an extended cab. The trimming just took a grinder and some paint. Other than that it fits great and I enjoy both the front and side lights

Looks awesome. Thinking of doing something similar myself. How did you attach the cabinets to the bed?

The main attachment points are the tie downs that are standard in the corners of the bed. I am using some turnbuckles to keep the base of each corner in place. The tops are secured by the base of the GFC attachment mounts. I cut the wood to a very tight fit matching bedsides so between the turnbuckles and the four GFC mounts it is very secure. I haven’t had any issues with it yet.

1 Like

Nice, thank you!