2010 Tacoma Access Cab build

Ordered this 1/2" square end mill:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B082CGHRDR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So that I could cut 12x 0.1" recessed holes. I am also thinking about getting 12x more 1/4-20 tnuts from Gzila. I think I may end up drilling for 24, but only using 12 at the moment.

Thanks to @crazyfingers for letting me test these out, then Ill hopefully get to meet up with him for a final test fit - before I go ordering more of anything.

And side note, will be installing new Light Truck brake pads this week. Current weight, with no fridge and just me was 5590lbs with 1/4 tank of gas. It will be interesting to get a weight after I get the V2 installed. As I get closer to when leaving, ill do a quick oil change, and then truck should be ready to roll on Aug 9.

2 Likes

Anytime buddy more than glad to help!! Let me know if you need anything else. And it was cool to hang out and chat.

2 Likes

Small update on the DIY rack build that im doing. Since the GFC extrusions are not standard 80/20, normal 80/20 brackets wont fit correctly.

4x 10-32 tnuts will work, but they wont be centered. See picture

2 Likes

The setup took longer than the drill. Depth is 0.118" . I am happy with that. Now need to repeat 11 more times

2 Likes

Oil change done, AC refilled. I think the truck is ready for the 2k mile trip to Montana

3 Likes

F-ya!!! Safe travels!

1 Like

Last week crunch time. Gotta grease everything, and start packing

2 Likes

3 Likes

hey! just wondering how the install went with the side rail caps? I am just scheduling my install and it says specifically no aftermarket caps. Don’t want to show up with them and not be able to get the install. Any help is appreciated!

1 Like

Install went great, except for one thing. I have kbvoodoo bed rail caps, and a Mobtown Offroad tailgate cap. They had to remove the tailgate cap part. I am going to need to figure out something else

But for antenna clearance, there’s plenty

4 Likes

Havent taken any pictures of it open yet, but here’s the v2 closed

5 Likes

What was an issue with the tailgate cap? I have the KBVooDoo rails and tailgate cap…I guess I’ll find out in 6 hrs at my install!!

It was too tall, gfc tailgate part wont close. Had to remove it. I am not sure what ill be doing for a fix yet.

Yep, same here with the KBVooDoo tailgate cap. They recommend I reduce or remove the foam spacer and dremel the cap’s bolt holes to allow a more snug fit with the tailgate cap, should solve the issue. I also have the Martin gfc roof rack and it’s closer than I’d expected due to height loss with bedrails, had to sign a waiver before leaving which I didn’t love. Will have to cut the rack down or reduce spacer size.

1 Like

I just noticed this today when closing the rear hatch. Contact points. Not thrilled, but I already scratched my extrusion, so I guess its part of the game…

1 Like

Just want to be clear for those who are reading this thread.

The camper on your truck is designed for a second-generation Tacoma with bedrail caps. Because those have been removed from your rig, the panel contacts the bed as it is sitting lower than intended.

When you schedule your install, we recommend having a stock bed configuration and not running the KB voodoo style caps.

Screenshot of that email below.

A good solution to keep that from being a problem is probably just to take a file to it and remove a 16th of material from the panel.

6 Likes

Understood. I wasn’t complaining, just making a note. Thanks for not sending me home without my camper.

And if this is Graeme, it was awesome to meet you, Alecks, Mike, and the install crew! You guys are celebrities. Thanks for dealing with my solar wires too. No issues here! Ive made it to Jackson WY so far! Still have a week left to get home

3 Likes

Thanks for the reply. I’m super stoked with our GFC and everyone on the install team as well, definitely not complaining either.

2 Likes

It’s a tough situation. I have replaced the factory bed rails on my 2010 tacoma since they completely failed under the weight of a topper. They cracked and constantly shifted while driving leaving chips in the paint all the way around the bed. It seems silly to replace them with OEM bed moulding just to put a camper on top that will result in the same situation.

1 Like

No worries! I figured you guys weren’t complaining, but for someone casually passing through I just wanted to make sure they know that this isn’t a mistake. People take stuff out of context all the time online, so just wanted to cover our bases, apologies if it came off wrong!

4 Likes