2010 Tacoma Access Cab build

I have stock bed rails on my 13 taco. The weight of the gfc has deformed them but they are not cracked. Too bad there is not an aftermarket bed rail that is the same size as OEM but stronger.

Can’t remember if I found this idea on GFC forum or Tundra forum but Diamond Back Covers makes a shim kit for Tundra bed rail caps that I am planning to install to help support the GFC weight.

I found my bed rail caps to be warped/wavy after I removed my ARE fiberglass shell a couple weeks ago. The rail caps had shifted around under the shell and chipped paint as discussed by @mcmurphy86

They might make a similar product for Tacos?

Looks like just a plastic or rubber spacer that sticks onto the underside of the OEM rail cap.

Same- this is why I didn’t replace with OEM. When I took off my old snug top not only were they cracked and warped but had worn completely through my truck paint and into the metal! I looked for an aftermarket open that didn’t cause a height loss but it didn’t exist so took my chances with KBVooDoo

Is this only happening to older models tacoma’s? I have a third GEN so will I be having this problem down the road?

Nah dude, its a 2nd gen problem. Your bed rail moulding is much thinner.

1 Like

Hooking up my 3rd brake light finally.

1 Like

Fun weekend!

6 Likes

I hope this will help with storage/small soft things bouncing around in the bed.

1 Like

I love that net but fear my daughter would fill it will stuffed animals :joy:

Have you done anything for tailgate cap yet? I am still rocking gorilla duct tape, works well enough.

2 Likes

I have not done anything yet. I didn’t want to put gorilla tape because i didnt want residue there.

I am in the middle of re-working my solar setup, but ill be ordering some aluminum soon, and hopefully working on the tailgate issue this year. (Getting married in 3 weeks, so been busy with that stuff too)

3 Likes

In process of reworking my solar setup. Now i have 2x 100w panels!

3 Likes

Still gathering parts for my solar/dual battery build. But managed to get out today in search of some fall colors. Found mud instead

2 Likes

I cant decide if i like these or a bed side molle. The molle may have more mounting options

2 Likes

Teaser shot… :sunglasses:

1 Like

interesting sheets and foam in this build.

foambymail.com - I wonder if anyone has tried it before?

press play to hear them talking about the sheets - Styled for RVs – Beddy's. I saved the time - 11:15
You’ll be amazed at this 4x4 Overlander Conversion - YouTube

2 Likes

@fatfurious2 foambymail.com looks like a great resource. I’m not looking to change my GFC mattress at the moment but I’ll look back at them if that changes.

2 Likes

Yes, I have been using foambymail.com for many years. Great service, great products. In addition to mattresses, dog beds, and cushions, I also used their 1/4” closed cell foam to insulate the interior of a Sprinter camper van before adding paneling. I plan to use that as a light insulation on GFC side panels as well.

3 Likes

I think I may use them to change the mattress. The original GFC mattress is a bit too firm for me. I have so many ideas, but so little time and resources hah!

Im still reworking my dual battery/solar setup - hopefully to be done in the spring. Then I can move onto other things that Id like to do.

1 Like

If you get soft foam, it’s easiest to cut with multiple passes of a utility knife (use a fresh blade). If you get firm (or thick) foam, an electric carving knife will be your best tool. And it’s fun.

1 Like

You can also use a bread knife, just for each of those make sure to use lots of silicone spray on the blades, makes a huge difference.

3 Likes