2024 Toyota Land Cruiser Looks Like The Real Deal

2024 Toyota Land Cruiser Looks Like The Real Deal

This all-new 2024 Toyota Land Cruiser is fucking impressive. Let’s just get that out of the way first, because I think the best way to illustrate how cool this thing might be is to start with a few caveats.

One: Things did not start well for Toyota’s new TNGA-F platform. The first vehicles that share the new chassis that will underpin all Toyota 4x4s for the foreseeable future—the Tundra and Sequioa—are duds. After 16 years, Toyota finally released a new Tundra that still couldn’t hold its own with the competition. And the Sequoia’s payload is so low it can’t safely fill all of its seats. That the new Land Cruiser also uses this platform had me seriously concerned.

Two: No one’s driven this thing yet. All anyone has at this stage are these heavily retouched press photos, and a very limited spec sheet. Everything here looks solid, but sometimes numbers don’t always add up the way you hope they will.

Three: The Land Cruiser name brings with it a lot of of expectations. And by denying Americans the full-fat 300-series Toyota has created some angst amongst fans that we may be denied access to the real Land Cruiser.

But man, this thing looks good.

That basic rundown is that Toyota has combined a unique body (some stuff is shared with the new GX) with the TNGA-F platform, plus the 2.4-liter turbocharged hybrid four-cylinder out of the new Tacoma to create what will be sold in the rest of the world as the Land Cruiser Prado. Like a real Land Cruiser it has a 112-inch wheelbase, full-time four-wheel drive, and a disconnecting sway bar.

If there’s one component on the new Cruiser that might be a little disappointing, it’s that front sway bar. There is no rear, and the disconnect is electronic, rather than hydraulic. If you’re not familiar with KDSS, as used on the old 200-series, I’ll spare you the nerd fest, and just explain that it delivers flatter cornering on-road (since it works on both axles), and more reliable actuation off-road, since it’s entirely hydraulic with no electronic components whatsoever. But hey, the sway bar does still disconnect on this new vehicle, and that’ll be a boon to articulation no matter what.

Something that does not need to be caveated is the new interior. The inside of my 200-series, which cost $85,000 just a couple of years ago, looks like it came out of a Nissan Frontier from about 2003. It’s a huge bummer in an otherwise handmade, ridiculous overbuilt truck. But look at the inside of this thing. It’s all big screens perforated leather, and sexy piano black toggle switches.

The other thing the new Cruiser has that the old one could only get in the aftermarket is the locking rear diff. Combine that with the full-time 4WD system, plus Toyota’s latest, greatest electronic traction aids, and if this thing can keep its tires on the ground half as well as the 200, it’ll have that truck beat on traction by a county mile.

And all the above is doubly impressive, because Toyota says it’s going to start not at $85,000, but in the, “mid-$50,000 range.” That’s right, you can now buy a freaking Land Cruiser for 4Runner money. Speaking of which, given how good this truck adds up with that motor from the new Taco, what niche is the next 4Runner going to try to fill? Could it move down in price to chase customers out of Subarus?

Customers who wanted a mid-size 4x4 to use off-road used to be trapped in an unwinnable dilemma. The Wrangler is so long it can’t climb over speed bumps, and is so unreliable it spontaneously combusts the second you leave a dealer lot. The 4Runner is slow, you can’t see out of it, and it costs about $49,000 more than the sum of its components. The Grand Cherokee is a luxury crossover, not a real off-roader. The Bronco is too small inside to bring even an overnight bag. The only half-decent answer used to be the GX, but that truck dates all the way back to the Pleistocene and looks like your grandma bedazzled a jellybean. But with this new Land Cruiser, that’s no longer the case. If you want a 4x4 you can live with, don’t want a pickup, want to go off-road, and need something reliable, then this Land Cruiser is now the answer. I think it’s the right answer for pretty much everyone. That’s remarkable. Nicely done Toyota.

What’s The Best Rooftop Tent For A 2024 Toyota Land Cruiser?

Want the always-there convenience and instant up and down of a rooftop tent, on your new Land Cruiser? We don’t yet know this thing’s payload or dynamic roof load, and we don’t know how it’s going to drive. But weighing just 135 pounds, the GoFastCampers Platform RTT is going to the the lightest, slimmest, strongest tent you can buy.

And those factors matter because they add up to less wind noise, better fuel economy, and decades-long durability. Because the GFC RTT is designed to double as a roof rack, you’ll also be able to take advantage of it day-to-day in order to mount lights, radio antennas, MaxTrax, awnings, solar panels, and pretty much anything else you can think of. And you’ll be able to do that while still enjoying the ability to carry boats, bikes, or boards on top. The tent can open with up to 75 pounds on the roof. It’s stable and dry in bad weather, and opens up for panoramic views when it’s nice out.

Put a GFC on this new Land Cruiser and you’ll have a total setup that works just as well running errands in the city as it does setting out for a round-the-world adventure.

7 Likes

Come on barbie lets go party!

Screenshot 2023-08-02 at 7.25.04 AM

3 Likes

Life in plastic…it’s fantastic!

4 Likes

Looks like it stole it’s design features from the Bronco Sport :smiling_face_with_tear:

3 Likes

Why is GFC marketing for vehicle manufacturers again? Wasn’t there also a previous GMC canyon post as well?
Anyway, just wondering.

Peace.

2 Likes

Yah, I hate this phase of a new car release. Everybody giving their review of the vehicle sounds like they’re cashing royalty checks from Toyota marketing. Everything is positive, nothing is negative. That’s just not how things work. Nobody has driven this yet, and nobody knows how good it actually is. The rear seats don’t fold down flat, the tow plug is going to get ripped off on the first rock you come off of, and there’s no front locker…still.

6 Likes

You can Google my name if you need my credentials. The fact of it is, this looks to be the right vehicle at the right time not only for the Cruiser brand, but us enthusiasts too. You no longer have to suffer through 4Runner ownership.

Front locker: you don’t really want one on these modern trucks. 465 lb-ft is a lot, especially multiplied through a transfer case, and CVs aren’t something you want to be blowing on a trail. The modern traction electronics are actually more effective in about 95 percent of circumstances too. I see a lot of people fail to understand or use them, which is a shame, they really are a major step forward.

4 Likes

Enjoyed your article on Outside today about this topic.

EDIT: I appreciate the perspective, I couldn’t care less about this new Land Cruiser and will never have it on my radar for purchase. No dog in this fight!

2 Likes

Reached out to a local dealer about reserving one of these - they want to do a credit check now, $500 down, and 10,000 over MSRP.

Hopefully the one above too, although in haste I forgot to put my name on it. Thanks for reading.

1 Like

A Land Cruiser fan boy justifying his over priced purchase wrote this :joy:

2 Likes

Lack of no front locker or at least having it as an “upgrade” option is pretty huge imo. Huge miss once again by Toyota.

1 Like

I dunno. I’ve been in some shit with my Tacoma and the electronics work pretty well. I’ve never been in a situation where I feel like a front locker would have done any more for me than the rear locker and ATRAC.

1 Like

The systems on the current Taco, 4Runner, and old 200 series are very, very effective. The latest generation shared across all the TGAN-F trucks feels like magic.

1 Like

I’ve got Jeeps and a RAM in my fleet, but I’ve owned a Tacoma in the past. I really like what I see so far re: Land Cruiser in terms of design and even capability At first I was like ‘meh, 4 cylinder’ but I’ve driven a Highlander hybrid before and it didn’t feel slow like the Gen 1 Prius did (my employer had one). I probably won’t buy one, but I love seeing more options in the market and especially love this type of retro-futuristic design.

The ONLY thing I don’t like on new Toyotas is the fact that they want you to subscribe to capabilities like Navigation now. I recently drove a Tundra that didn’t have an active subscription for Navigation and it was super annoying. Yeah, it can do CarPlay or Android Auto, but asking to subscribe to Maps just seemed crappy. If you touched the map, you were presented with a prompt like “choose a subscription plan today!”

2 Likes

But that isn’t just Toyota. How about paying $1200/year subscription to realize the max performance of your new vehicle… Mercedes Makes Better Performance a $1,200 Subscription in Its EVs

1 Like

Oh, yeah I know it’s the way of the future because of the economics of EVs, but I still don’t like being asked to subscribe to minor features like navigation.

What do you think of the 1958 cloth seats, aka poverty pack? Will they be supportive or lacking lumbar support, hence the need to buy the higher trim?

These are brand new $50k+ vehicles, not 30 year old shit boxes with 350,000 miles on them. I’m sure the seats will be fine at any trim level.

3 Likes