4Runner Factory Cross Bars and SuperLite

Earlier this week, they told me to trim the plastic clamps on the cross bars and purchase the antenna blanking plate.
I immediately pushed back asking if they are telling me it won’t degrade the performance or life of the bars. And I don’t want to tear open the back of the vehicle for a blanking plate, even if they had done the right thing and offered a the plate for free.
Today, he changed his input and sent the same link you provided.

When it comes down to it, if you don’t mind the additional cost, you’re looking at good bars and you’ll get more than enough height. I don’t think you’ll do much better for a proven setup and reputable, big brand. Far better than the typos of adapters I was looking for. You may find that you can now mount something next to the tent, like an awning? I can’t tell for sure. In my case, the only things I ever mount on my roof are kayak carriers. So I don’t need the extra height and cross rails that extend as far side to side as aftermarket. I’m pushing for a refund unless some Florida buyer shows up at my door.

I haven’t pulled the trigger yet but if this is a solid long term solution then I’m probably going to do it. Any idea if one of Thule or Yakima is the better option? They are both well known companies in the world or roof racks.

Don’t blame anyone for not wanting to spend the extra money. The price and weight was what got my interest on the Superlite originally. Sucks to spend another $500. I thought there was a guy in FL looking to buy a Superlite here:

@SilentMic I’m in the market for a SuperLite for sure and live in Florida. I posted a few weeks ago asking if anyone knew of one in the wild?

I can confirm can fit an awning and the superlight on the thule setup. It sucked to spend the extra $$$ at the time, but having the tent is definitely worth it. There is also a track on thule cross bars so I imagine you could mount the tent w/ the quick release setup but I haven’t attempted this.

1 Like

Pittdrums has one for sale in this chat. See their last post.

1 Like

@Pittdrums Still looking to potentially sell your SuperLite? I’m in the Cocoa Beach area and may be interested? Thanks,

I know several people with both yak and Thule for bikes, cargo boxes, and skis. I can’t recall complaints from any of them. Myself included

Hey! Yes! If you’re up for a road trip, I’m just east of Sarasota. I can’t meet somewhere better for you since I’m not mounting the tent.

was able to get mine mounted on my 5th gen 4runner factory cross bars. its a bit of a hassel but once i figured it out was very easy. Sun roof helps a lot and i still have xm antenna and signal!!
the long bolts they sent are too long so i went with some short and medium length