6 Reasons Why Lead Times Are Good For GFC Customers

6 Reasons Why Lead Times Are Good For GFC Customers

GoFastCampers produces our campers and truck bed toppers on a 10 to 12 week lead time from order to fulfillment. This is a key component of our business model, allowing us to keep costs low and quality high, maximizing value for you, our customer. Here’s how that works.

1) Lead times allow us to build the exact product you want, for your exact truck.

Each GFC camper and topper is custom sized to the dimensions of your exact truck’s unique bed. This is why we ask for your Vehicle Identification Number when you place an order. Anything from bed rail depth and taper, to cab roof configurations, along with length and width can vary with your vehicle’s unique year, make, model and trim level.

This stands in contrast to typical industry practice, where campers are sized for a generic range of truck bed lengths and widths. Not only does that deliver products that often fit poorly—requiring plywood shims and adjustable turnbuckles to mate with your bed and creating awkward gaps between bed rails and camper body—but it also causes owners all sorts of long term problems ranging from contact between cabovers and cabs, insecure mounts, and wasted volume.

Additionally, offering you the ability to choose from nine different panel colors, front or rear glass windows, or both or none, two different colors for the tent fabric, plus the addition of side doors on that tent, means that virtually every product that leaves our factory is entirely unique.

Attempting to forecast well in advance of your order which options you may want, for which truck, would limit available options and increase the price of the final product by adding stocking costs to GFC’s bottom line. Campers are large, and storing many hundreds of them would require immense warehouse space.

Producing the exact product that works best for you is doubly important with a GFC, since our products are designed to last a lifetime, while remaining serviceable and repairable.

2) Lead times keep inventory low.

When you place your order for a camper or topper, you will be assigned a completion date, then the production process works backwards from there to ensure raw materials show up just in time so that the parts we make right here in Belgrade, Montana can all come together at a precise day and hour for final assembly.

Not only does this eliminate storage costs for both materials and campers—savings we pass along to you—but it allows us to forecast exact needs for raw materials.

And that ability to order the exact quantities of materials we need allows us to develop and maintain transparent, predictable relationships with the suppliers of those raw materials, which then allows them to take advantage of many of the same lead time benefits we’re discussing here. And that again saves you money.

3) Lead times allow GFC to pinpoint precise delivery dates.

Because lead times give us complete control over our manufacturing processes, GFC is able to deliver campers and toppers when we say we will. Over the last two years, over the course of more than 3,000 installs, we’ve achieved 99.9 percent on-time delivery.

And that carries through to GFC’s partner shops, too. Because we ship when we say we will, your local shop is also able to avoid stocking costs, and forecast labor demands well ahead of your install. You again save money, and can plan visiting that shop (or our Montana HQ) with reliable timing.

Want to see when your camper or topper could be ready here at our factory, or when it would ship to your local shop? The map on the order page for both products gives you exact timing.

4) Lead times create good jobs.

Here at GFC we’re proud that we’re able to offer a starting salary of $57,200. And every single job here is full time, with full benefits. We do that because we believe that making stuff in America should help make America a better place. And lead times help us do that.

Stable staffing levels and workloads help us avoid hiring work out to part time, or seasonal labor, as sales and inventory fluctuate. Or ask our employees to work overtime to make up production shortfalls. GFC employees work four 10-hour shifts per week. Combined with good wages, that enables our staff to go out and enjoy the products they build—each employee receives a camper, topper, or rooftop tent as part of their compensation package.

That we’re able to do all that, while also delivering more value to you, our customer, than rivals who farm manufacturing out to offshore factories, is GFC’s reason for being.

5) Lead times enable us to make virtually everything in house.

We make pretty much every single one of the 888 parts on a camper (or any of the rest of the stuff we make) ourselves.

Not only does that allow us to design and produce stronger, lighter, more durable parts than what’s available off-the-shelf, but it also allows us to constantly iterate both those parts and our processes. Our seven engineer-strong production engineering team is constantly working to improve both our products and efficiency. And when they come up with a new solution, there’s no barriers to implementation. Since most of our parts are machined from billet aluminum, existing inventory can simply be recycled, and turned into the new stuff.

The benefit to you is that your camper or topper will include these iterative improvements. We never have to ship a sub-optimal part. And all of those parts are custom designed just for your product, offering a level of weight savings, strength, and intentional design not possible from parts catalogs.

You also save money, again. Subcontracting production, or simply ordering generic stuff from a supplier adds mark ups at each stage. The value saved there again helps us lower costs. And because our workers are producing optimized components, they’re creating more value and earning higher wages as a result.

6) Lead times eliminate middlemen.

Attempting to forecast demand wouldn’t just result in less customization and added inventory cost. It’d also force us to move away from direct-to-consumer sales and into working with distributors and dealers in order to achieve regular sales targets.

Each of those middlemen would require their own 30 to 50 percent margin. That’s the model that makes a $5 sneaker produced in China cost $120 on Amazon. You do the math for how much that would add to the price of a GFC. Or how much quality we’d have to remove to maintain something close to existing prices.

This is the cold, hard math that explains why a product like a GFC hasn’t existed before, and why we’re able to deliver such an extreme value proposition to our customers. Lead times are why you want to buy a GFC. We make a product worth waiting for. - Wes Siler

Let us know what you think or if you have any questions in the comments below!

6 Likes

To be honest if there was an option to pay more and wait less, I’d have taken it.

Also very uncomfortable being asked to pull the cover off my bed and use a tape measure to send in rail to rail width measurements when that info should be available off manufacturer spec/upfitter sheets. I feel like I have a $10,000 bet riding on whether or not I got the measurements right.

1 Like

For what its worth, I felt the same way, and I had a brand new 2022 pick up. So I was worried it wasnt going to line up due to new bed size… blah blah blah.

When I called they told me they take the measurements the individual takes and use the standard measurements that are available via the producer. If there is anything out of place, they give you a call to work it out.

I was crazy nervous when I put in my order too, nearly 10k for my cap. One thing I’ve learned is that GFC dosnt leave folks hanging. They are great humans and based right here in the USA. Give em a chance and call, mention these worries to them and they will lay it all to rest.

Even when I was rude becuase I thought I was getting screwed, they welcomed me and helped me to understand their process. GFC isnt gonna screw anyone over, they are not that kind of company. In my eyes at least.

The company is full of outstanding, genuine people.

8 Likes

Hey guys, sorry to hear that was a stressful part of your experience, and thanks for the feedback; without sufficient context I could see how that could be stressful if you thought we were designing around your measurement! Truck beds are kind of heinous to measure with a tape measure (we use lasers to 3D scan!). No customer will be asked to provide precise enough of a measurement to use for R&D or fit. All camper and topper models are designed from a 3D scan along with virtual and physical test fits before they are made available to the public.

A little context as to why you were likely asked for this information. We use a VIN decoder which provides very reliable information, however for some vehicle manufacturers and/or trim levels; bed length can sometimes be reported as 5, 6, 8. If we get a query with multiple bed lengths attributed to that VIN number, we will confirm with you. That said, I will take this feedback to the team, and have them reach out to you both to better understand how we could have made that a simpler and less stressful experience.

The other tricky one is RAMs, with particularly no correlation between trim, year or bed length RAMs have either a tapered or parallel bed. We have research far and wide, and for everyones best-case outcome we will confirm with every customer if their RAM truck bed is tapered or parallel. We have intentionally designed models for both, we just want to make sure we build you the right one!

Any more questions or feedback on the purchasing process?!

Have a great weekend!

6 Likes

Yes very good to know - thanks!

2 Likes