A way to try out a GFC before buying?

I’m trying to make the case for a GFC for camping with my wife and dogs, but she’s resisting. I have no idea how this would even be possible, but figure the question might have been asked before or a solution discussed. I think an outdoorsy.com way to rent someone’s truck for a weekend is the only way it might happen… has anyone seen a different solution? (I’m near Boulder CO, so swinging by the GFC headquarters isn’t feasible.)

Not very helpful for you CO, but I did just that and rented from Cypress Overland in the SF Bay Area, CA. They have a Tacoma with a V1.1 GFC.

1 Like

Looks like they’ve shut down during covid but might be worth a shot.

1 Like

Thanks, its a bit of a drive, but good to know there are places out there. (c:

I’ve seen quite a few expedition trailers for rent in CO. You could try renting one of those with a rtt on top. Then the next day, “Look, honey! That trip was great, right? But wouldn’t it be better if we didn’t have to tow it?!”

2 Likes

LOL, yes that would be a possible route… though she is already of a mind that she wants something to tow, with a kitchen, etc.

@jgates Hey friend! I’m in Boulder CO as well and I should be getting my GFC sometime in March. I would totally be up for a meet up, let’s stay in contact.

1 Like

That sounds great! I’m really wanting to see a v2 in person. I imagine you’re super excited!

I pick mine up TOMORROW (: Will be back in Denver area on Sunday. Come check it out anytime.

2 Likes

Awesome! Congrats! What kind of truck? Tacoma?

Yep, 3rd gen taco. The GFC is the first step in phase 2 of this build. The saw is coming out once the weather starts warming up (:

What’s up @jgates! I’m in Longmont if you’re interested in taking a look at my setup. I’d be happy to give you and the wife a quick rundown at the very least.

Shouldn’t you be out camping today!? This is perfect GFC camping weather. =oP I’ll follow up with you on timing. (c:

I’m in Castle Rock and seriously considering a GFC. I would love to see one in person discuss any “lessons learned” you may have about your purchase. I hate to inconvenience you but if you are willing let me know. Thanks

I wish the weather was a bit better this weekend and I’d just meet you over at 105 to grab a beer. I’m right at the Littleton/Englewood line. You can come check it out anytime.

Hey Ted, there’s a thread for the Four Corner States with a bunch of people from Colorado. I’m in Boulder but could meet up to show you around the GFC.