Almost finished with mods for Tacoma, solar, fridge, pull-out

Goal: semi-convenient camping with components able to handle rough or very rough roads. Also, aimed to keep weight down so that no special suspension updates are needed. Also wanted to keep everything electric with no need for other fuels. Three solar panels on GFC’s top, bed pullout slider (500 lbs. capacity), fridge, 2400 watt power supply. Power supply can be charged by solar, AC or the vehicle via DC. The blue unit on the driver’s side is a bench for rainy days and a large storage area and access point for rear of power supply. On the passenger side is a sort of rack for dropping tall items in. The electric stove fits atop a hinged kitchen unit with silverware, pots/pans underneath. Every furnishing is bolted, screwed, glued or otherwise stuck down. A heavy part is most of one sheet of 3/4" plywood over truck bed as a firm foundation (adhered to bed). Four 2x4’s are bolted vertically through the holes in the 4 fittings that connect the GFC to the truck’s bed sides. These 2x4’s are essential to building the bench/storage unit and other furnishings. The hard part - as anyone knows is that there are minimal attachment points in the truck bed and everything is hard, slippery, curved plastic, ha ha. Worse than a boat I think. The slider slides in and out with practically one finger. Cost for wood, hardware, wire, lights: $400., inverter: $1800., fridge: $700., stove: $70, slider $75, solar: $550., so about $3500. Weight of camper and all in bed, adding food, water, sleeping bags, 2 bicycles and 2 passengers: about 1200 lbs, which is close but under the stock weight limit. Still to do: hook up the LED 12V lights inside bed and inside sleeping area, find a low-power electric heater for winter AND spend even more nights dispersed camping.

1 Like

I’ve been pondering the idea of induction cooktop for camping. Have you had any real-time data on power draw while cooking? My understanding of most portable induction cooktops is they cycle one-off at some hertz to get to X temp. I.e., What is the watt draw peak watt draw at 5 of 10 on this unit? (I have this exact unit)

Ronmastas, the induction stove burns at about 1300 watts on a setting of 5. At 5,000 plus feet where I normally am, a quart of water boils in about 4 minutes, which is right speedy. So simple to merely push the switch, no lighting of matches, no digging stuff out and no worrying about propane or a MSR stove mix. The stove uses a lot of juice, obviously - about 4 to 5% of the battery in that 4 min. to boil water. However, for my purposes it’s suitable because I only boil water a couple of times per day. Of course, simmering on a lower setting uses less wattage. What I didn’t realize about solar is that if a person’s biking, fishing or hiking most of the day away from vehicle (or even if the truck’s moving down the road) the solar is racking up those electrons so usually by the end of the day the battery’s at 100% again.

1 Like

Your setup seems sweet! I think induction is promising for car camping setups. Only thing holding me back is not having an inverter and only a single LiFePO4 battery that can output 1200 watts continuous.