Alu-cab Shadow Awning

This seems like a good place to ask this:
Does the GFC universal awning bracket bolt to commercially available, flat, 3 channel, 80/20 extrusion (like the stuff available on 80/20.net)? I have a camper and wanted to create a modular awning mount by adding a length of channel to the outside, then mounting my awning to that. Thanks in advance!

@alpinerabbit I don’t have the bracket, but work with 8020 a lot (making a pivot swing arm table and folding jump seat in the truck bed right now). I’d be suprised if you couldn’t make that work. Based on what the GoFast bracket is, should be able to use native 8020 hardware. If not with the native 8020 hardware options, there are other tricks. For example, common 8020 trick for mounting extrusion in van builds is to slide a carriage bolt in the extrusion and use washer/locknut to secure to the wall.

Hey Tim,
I’m also interested in Thule Hideaway. Did you go with the direct/wall mount (a sort of hooking brackets) or rack mount (T-slot back awning)?
Are you still happy with your Hideaway choice? Any feedback?
Thanks,

I love the Hideaway compared to my James Baroud awning. The ease and speed of deployment means I use it much, much more often. And it’s just as easy to use by a single person compared to two. I used the rack mount, not the wall mount, and it attaches to the GFC awning brackets easily. I like the fact that Thule sell individual replacement parts for it to in the event I break something.

It comes with a few downsides:

• It’s heavier than other equivalent pull-out style awnings.
  • The awning enclosure isn’t a full box like you can get with the JB or ARB awnings.
  • The awning doesn’t protrude as far as other pull-out style awnings.
1 Like

Sounds great.
It’s still way lighter than 270 ones and I will scarify 1.5’ (6.5’ vs 8’ ARB) side projection for an easy one person job.

Hideaway Rack mount awning doesn’t come with any T-bolt. Thule offers its own mount brackets that I don’t need them for GFC RTT. Does GFC rail nut works?

I finally got the Shadow Awning mounted. It seriously takes like 30 seconds to deploy and MAYBE 60 to put it away. What a nice piece of kit!

I have the rear mount from @AlexaB. It is ROCK SOLID.

Couple of things:

1. Cut a lot of cloth out of the way where the bolts go through the cover. I just cut slits through and it was a PITA. To do it again I would cut a nice chunk out around every bolt hole I plan to use. Especially at the rear corner mount. I got mine mostly mounted and realized what a PITA the cloth was - but I was too far into it to take it all down and screw around with everything again.

2. You can see in the pix - I only used 4 of the mounting holes on the rear corner bracket. The 2 inside most bolt holes are a pain to reach - and with the aforementioned problem with the cloth - I just left them out. It’s super solid.

3. With the GFC brackets, the front one was really difficult to get mounted correctly. I’m pretty sure there is a slight bend in the GFC extrusion. I needed about 1/16" to make it line up. So, I ended up mounting the bracket and then drilling the hole where the bracket and Shadow Awn meet just a little bit to make them match.

4. In the pix you will see that I replaced the hex nut bolts with regular bolts. It’s really tight between the awning and the GFC extrusion and takes too much effort to use my cut down allen wrench. It was much easier to fit a regular wrench in there to tighten everything up.

So far I’m really happy with it!

5 Likes

How many brackets did you use. I have 2 for my overlandpros 270 but thinking of getting one more to be safe

Interesting, so you didn’t have a bracket to wrap around the corner like some of the other applications posted earlier in this thread?

@sluker and @Bryo

Yes, I have a corner bracket from @AlexaB - see the pix earlier in the thread. It’s just so well done that you don’t even notice it! Instead of a chunk of iron it’s billet aluminum that looks like it belongs.

Then, I have 2 GFC brackets. It’s rock solid.

I can’t imaging just hanging it with 2 GFC brackets. The corner bracket really ties things together.

2 Likes

ahhhh! I just went back a few post. that’s awesome!!

@AlexaB Will this work for v2 platform?

1 Like

Bumping this up to see if anyone has successfully mounted a Alu Cab Shadow to a V2 unit?

This is a V1 design at the moment @NathanL

I am tempted to make another small batch of the V1’s - if anyone is interested - DM me. Otherwise, the V1 design is now available for anyone to make or have made.

Does anyone have V2 around for some measurements so I can update the design? Current Location: about 5hrs east of Anchorage, AK :slight_smile: Happy to meet half way tho :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey @AlexaB - where are you? I lived up there for a couple years (2.5 winters in AK speak). Loved it. Sounds like you’re around Hope?

I too am interested in mounting a shadow awn to a V2 RTT if anyone has managed to do this.

1 Like

@AlexaB sent you DM on an awning mount for my V1 if you’re still making them… thanks!

@AlexaB I’m interested in a mount for my V1 as well.

I finally tackled mounting my Alu-cab to my V2 camper.
I had to come up with a modified back bracket to deal with the extra torq at the rear mounting due to the weight of the awning but you knew that because you’re on this thread.

I had an addition welded to an existing GFC awning bracket. I’m sure there will be plenty of questions about the bracing and the build. I have tons more pictures and can answer questions.
Cheers.

11 Likes

That’s a sweet solution! Do you have a list of materials and measurements? Any interest in having more made?

Interesting situation. I am going from an AT summit to a GFC and had the shadow awning on it. I only used two mounting brackets and its was fine for 2 years and tons of outings in various storms until January’s winter storm with crazy gusts. The bracket in the rear snapped at the weld. The camper and the awning was perfectly fine… Testament to the build quality of the awning.

. I can always go with the two brackets install and put the awning away in gusty weather but I would like to buy a corner bracket similar to the ones in the thread. Anyone have a good solution to buy? Or something that can be made at home without all the machining requirements?

Hey there - I just picked up my V2 and have the Shadow 270. How can I get these brackets you’ve made? Is there anyway you can pass on specs so I can hand them to a mechanist? Any tips? Trying to figure out the best way to get this awning on. Ive read thru this thread and see people have just made their own. I dont have the skill for that