Alu-cab Shadow Awning

I didn’t even think of that. I don’t have a rear awning so I don’t know how much space they are picking up by the placement of the new latches seems to prevent the use of the rear extrusion. I tried to mount GFC’s antenna mount with BD s2 lights and didn’t like it, couldn’t get it to really work due to the latch.

Looks like the bar and latch redesign has the potential to cause a lot of problems for people.

See picture below for how far the latch extends down. The discoloration is from frost.

I might just cover the latch slot with a bit of clear flexible caulk if I’m not using it much in the winter or when there’s a lot of rain expected. Some waterproof tape could be used as an alternative. My unit is outdoors all the time as well as being my daily driver.

I too have noticed that the T nuts distort under relatively light torque.

I also have the kinsmen 270. It is the nicest 270 on the market and for a GFC if you ask me. I was the 1st GFC to get the awning and worked with Matt to make it compatible for the GFC. He is a one man operation, high quality, and made in the USA. Quality over quantity. The awning mounts on the lower extrusion so it doesnt effect “roof capacity”.

2 Likes

Is the Kinsman 270 above or below the roof line in travel mode?

Below the roof line. Its almost even with the roof.

1 Like

Seeing as how I already own an alucab shadow awning, I asked this also when ordering my GFC (#528) and was a little confused by the response that discouraged its use by the good GFC folks. If I didnt own one… I would certainly look into the Kinsman option however I fail to understand the main reason that GFC objects to the Alucab- that it projects higher than the closed camper. On my previous vehicle, I had the entire awning mounted on TOP of the topper rack with no issue… Can someone tell me what I am missing?

1 Like

I get the love for the Kinsmen and supporting locally-made products. It looks like a great piece of kit, and if it were made from aluminum and 20lbs lighter I’d buy one in a heartbeat.

The Shadow Awn seems like an equally good piece of kit - I’m still invested in finding a way to fit it to the RTT.

4 Likes

I believe Matthew has changed the brackets to accommodate the new GFC crossbar. I purchased my Kinsman Awning just the other day and he asked if I had a new GFC or old one due to the crossbar change

He probably has by now. I was the first customer to have the interference because I was one of the first with the new crossbars. That’s good to know though, I should be getting an update hopefully

On the flip side though how do you like this awning? I own a Darche 270 and it’s a bit of a hassle to pack.How easy is this one to pack up?
The main reason I went ahead and bought the Kinsman is the downright sturdiness of this thing! I’ve had times with the Darche that I thought it was too windy for the awning even with guy lines.

Wait, you purchased one the other day? I’ve been waiting for them to open up sales again and didn’t see anything recently? (still shows sold out)

Definitely sturdy and easy to pack up. Installation definitely wasn’t the easiest but I installed it solo, still took longer than expected. It’s held up well in all conditions. It takes a little effort to get it fully locked in the open position but that is just because I don’t want to brute force anything. All together takes an easy minute to deploy and put away.

Keep an eye out they will be up soon!

Ugh, I kept an eye out…saw the posting that they were available…and still missed the opportunity to purchase a passenger-side awning because they sold out so quickly.

Fortunately for me I was after a driver side :blush:

1 Like

Now I only hope @GFC comes through with the passenger side tent door option. :call_me_hand:t2:

1 Like

Did you get your Shadow Awn mounted? I just got mine in and will be working on it this week if I get time. I have 2x of the GFC Awning brackets and looking at everything so far, I should be able to get it mounted without issue and doesn’t look like it will protrude above the tent much if at all.

I’m really curious how this works out for you. I’d like to get one. GFC told me they will fit, but they said it would be tricky. There is a group buy on tacomaworld and they are selling these at a great price!

I am interested in the shadow awn as well. Has anyone mounted one to their GFC yet? I’m curious to see if it sticks above the camper or not. Thanks!